WHS 2011 not ready? Some issues makes me planning go back to WHS v.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I've used WHS v.1 since Beta and all the way to the release of WHS 2011 and was quite happy with it.
    I didn't experience much of the early shortcomings reported and corrected along the road.

I have been part of the Beta testers on WHS 2011 and wasn't scared away by the removal of Drive Extender - I looked at the desicion as a challenge to overcome!

And now, after RTM available, I've got myself the "new and improved" WHS running, I've spent time moving all my data from WHS v.1 to WHS 2011.

And, it works!
    At first, that is...

Client backups seems ok. The ultimate test to restore one client has not been needed. Yet.

Server backups.
    Well, the last 4 are stated as "Unsuccessful".
    Looking in the properties tab, some drives/folders are "incomplete" and the C:\ drive with the Operating System are marked "Unsuccessfull". No reason given in text below "Backup status:".

But the biggest hickup - if you can call it that - is media streaming/sharing.

I use an Xbox360 for movie viewing. Navigating to the VIDEOS section on the Xbox and accessing the shared folder on the WHS v.1 worked really well.
    Same with the WHS 2011, at first...

- The response time when navigating accessing and navigating folders is much slower, despite more modern hardware.

- New transfered files doesn't show up right away. Never an issue on WHS v.1.

- Since yesterday, I cannot access any media through the shared folders via the Xbox. The server is there, but gives me "No vides found" after a timeout period (I found a way though; accessing one of the desktops the same way I found the video under shared folders, as I added the WHS 2011 to the Homegroup yesterday. Not a solution, but a workaround. Still, no new media avaiable).

I've gone through the tricks and tips found here on the forum to rebuild the Mediaplayer database, but I can't say if it helps or not.

Now I look at the open case with the remnants of the WHS v.1, and I want it back - It justed worked!

Any thoughts or ideas when you read this?
    Plans are underway to put WHS v.1 back in to business...

Edit: Streaming. Starting up Media Center on one laptop (not ideal, both the laptop and the Xbox are on wireless) gives an error on the Xbox when trying to play movies. Didn't write it down though...something with not playable media types, but it's the same files that plays ok through shared folders.

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...

Monday, June 6, 2011 7:03 AM

All replies

• Where can I get a linsence for Home Server 2011?
    Monday, June 6, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Where can I get a linsence for Home Server 2011?

Either a MSDN or TechNet subscription or from an OEM dealer.

(great input on my post I must admit)

Monday, June 6, 2011 5:05 PM
  • I'd strongly advise against putting your WHS 2011 into a homegroup.  For some reason MS included it but it doesn't work with the rest of the shares as it makes the HomeUsers group have read access to all shares, thereby invalidating all previously set up permissions.  When I then removed it from the Homegroup the SID was left behind for the HomeUsers group in each share so I had to manually clean it up.  Then I realised that all my shares no longer appear through the web portal :(  Gonna have to rebuild i think as creation of new shares now hangs.
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:06 AM
  • I'd strongly advise against putting your WHS 2011 into a homegroup.  For some reason MS included it but it doesn't work with the rest of the shares as it makes the HomeUsers group have read access to all shares, thereby invalidating all previously set up permissions.  When I then removed it from the Homegroup the SID was left behind for the HomeUsers group in each share so I had to manually clean it up.  Then I realised that all my shares no longer appear through the web portal :(  Gonna have to rebuild i think as creation of new shares now hangs.

I did the same thing - added WHS 2011 to a Homegroup.

Then I noticed I could not longer handle files the same way from the primary desktop, not enough permissions and such.

Ok, I took the server away from the Homegroup; all is well, moving files and copying working again.

Moving along to the Xbox360 to watch a movie. No go.
    Removing the WHS 2011 from a Homegroup turns off Media sharing!

You have to manually turn it on again through the Dashboard.
    Fine. Go? No go!

Then I found out that you manually have to turn it on, via RDT, on the Server (Network and sharing center, Change advanced sharing settings).

Go? Yes, after letting the server work all night building the Media library again (I guess).
    Watching movies via Xbox now works again.

IMHO, that removing the Server from a Homegroup turns off Media sharing in two places doesn't make any sense att all,

Logical? No. Frustrating? Yes.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:24 AM

I did the same thing - added WHS 2011 to a Homegroup.

Then I noticed I could not longer handle files the same way from the primary desktop, not enough permissions and such.

Ok, I took the server away from the Homegroup; all is well, moving files and copying working again.

Moving along to the Xbox360 to watch a movie. No go.
    Removing the WHS 2011 from a Homegroup turns off Media sharing!

You have to manually turn it on again through the Dashboard.
    Fine. Go? No go!

Then I found out that you manually have to turn it on, via RDT, on the Server (Network and sharing center, Change advanced sharing settings).

Go? Yes, after letting the server work all night building the Media library again (I guess).
    Watching movies via Xbox now works again.

IMHO, that removing the Server from a Homegroup turns off Media sharing in two places doesn't make any sense att all,

Logical? No. Frustrating? Yes.

Folks, when you hit something like this, please file a bug on Connect. I don't know that Microsoft will fix it if you do, but if they don't know about it I know for certain that they won't fix it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:49 PM
  • /snip/

Server backups.
    Well, the last 4 are stated as "Unsuccessful".
    Looking in the properties tab, some drives/folders are "incomplete" and the C:\ drive with the Operating System are marked "Unsuccessfull". No reason given in text below "Backup status:".

/snip/

Regarding Server Backups, it turned out to be hardware error.

Tried cloning the System disk to another, but it failed.
    Ran some disk checks and repairs were made, but still no go.
    Changed disk and reinstalled WHS 2011 --> Server backups are working!
    (at least no errors reported after 6 Server backups)

Sunday, August 14, 2011 9:47 AM
  • I was having a lot of problems with streaming to my xbox360 at first.  Some items in my library would not show-up.  One cause was my installation of McAfee SAAS anti-virus.  Eventhough it supported 2008 R2, it is unsupported on WHS 2011.  Once I removed the AV software, my streaming problem went away.  I bring this up just in case you are running AV because in my research, there are no AV solution (with realtime scanning) that are supported :(

Dennis
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:31 PM
  • I was having a lot of problems with streaming to my xbox360 at first.  Some items in my library would not show-up.  One cause was my installation of McAfee SAAS anti-virus.  Eventhough it supported 2008 R2, it is unsupported on WHS 2011.  Once I removed the AV software, my streaming problem went away.  I bring this up just in case you are running AV because in my research, there are no AV solution (with realtime scanning) that are supported :(

Dennis
    I had ClamAV installed on the earlier WHS 2011-system, but now after re-install I have none.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 3:21 PM