external 24/7 USB2-boxes for IDE (PATA) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

today just for the fact to test the "duplicating" from MSHS I need an external box.
    For future usage this box should be used in a 24/7 enviroment.

necessities and wishes:

• only for IDE drives (PATA) and not SATA
    • with assistance of more than 300GB each drive
    • it should have a very effective cooling because of 24/7
    • it should be stackable if one box per drive
    • a transformer should be inbuildt, I dont like external transformers
    • possibility to use USB2 and downgrade to USB1.1
    • effortable and therefore in price not to high
    • there must not be a case only for one drive, up to four drives in one external box would be comfortable

ok, I did a lot of searching. All of these small external boxes "ready to go" do not fit my needs.

I found two different boxes who produced my interest, maybe you can tell me what you think about these, maybe you have a better choice?

• For one single IDE drive
    • MAPOWER H51 Series
      Link: http://www.mapower.de/english/index.htm
      look at left menue "ext. cases"
      and choose column 5,25" family "image H51xx"
      choose from the dropdownmenue Series "MAP-H51U2G"

stackable
      good cooling & expandable with a second fan.
      future diposition for external drives due to the 5,25 size
      price: about Euro 40,-

the "MAP-H51U2G" has the Genesys GL811E-04 Chipset
      the "MAP-H51U2C" has the Cypress CY7C68300A USB2.0 Chip
      what for the differences...? help...

Friday, April 13, 2007 2:30 PM

Answers

• Greetings!  Given what I know about WHS, I think you should get the MAPOWER H51 Series.  The Digitus system looks good, but it has what may be a problem: it makes however many disks you put in there look like one large disk volume.  This is what the WHS does in the background all the time, so there may be a conflict between these two systems.

I don't think it matters what chipset you get.  I haven't heard of any major performance differences between the two chipsets, and I can't find any warnings against using either chipset with a particular system, so it should not matter which one you get.

Friday, April 13, 2007 4:21 PM
  • I would not use the Digitus unit, as it requires a separate driver for support. WHS is built on Windows 2003 Server, and requires W2K3 drivers. The Digitus unit doesn't appear to have a driver available for that OS.

In addition, I suspect that the Digitus unit, in it's "combine" modes, builds a stripe set (RAID 0), which is significantly less secure than a single drive.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 4:49 PM

All replies

• Greetings!  Given what I know about WHS, I think you should get the MAPOWER H51 Series.  The Digitus system looks good, but it has what may be a problem: it makes however many disks you put in there look like one large disk volume.  This is what the WHS does in the background all the time, so there may be a conflict between these two systems.

I don't think it matters what chipset you get.  I haven't heard of any major performance differences between the two chipsets, and I can't find any warnings against using either chipset with a particular system, so it should not matter which one you get.

Friday, April 13, 2007 4:21 PM
  • I would not use the Digitus unit, as it requires a separate driver for support. WHS is built on Windows 2003 Server, and requires W2K3 drivers. The Digitus unit doesn't appear to have a driver available for that OS.

In addition, I suspect that the Digitus unit, in it's "combine" modes, builds a stripe set (RAID 0), which is significantly less secure than a single drive.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 4:49 PM
  • thanks for the info about a needed driver, that's important basic..

as far as I know there are manual switches "mice piano" at the back cover to tell the OS how top deal with the implemented drives (I am not interested in RAID0 for additional storage, rather in RAID5 for the SYS of MSHSWink

Friday, April 13, 2007 5:13 PM