What's the good backup plan for Dynamics CRM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

This is a problem I often meet. As I'm not a DBA, I do not have the necessary knowledge to be able to create a good backup plan for MS CRM.

Let's assume the following:
    - My Org DB is about 10 GB
    - I need a full backup every WE and a differential backup every night. Well, I suppose this is a good choice when the customer accepts to loose a max of 1 day of work.

Now, I don't know exactly how to build the backup plan in Management Studio, being sure:
    - To backup the good data and being sure to be capable of restoring my data
    - To avoid uncontrolable log file growth leading to a full disk
    - To retain only 2 weeks of backup

If someone could drive me on this subject, it would be nice!

Thanks

My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com You will find: Form Javascript Manager (export/import javascript from forms) ISV.Config Manager (graphical ISV.config edition - export/import) View Layout replicator (customize one view and replicate to others) And others (use tool tag on my blog)
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1-I checked our scripts and we have an specific step to delete files older than 30 days.  I think the expire option does not delete the files, but simply marks the 'backup' in the file as expired.
    2-This depends on the backup type.  I'm not sure what transaction log backup types out of the box sql server supports.  There are usually two types:
       a.  copy - this backs up the log files and does not truncate/delete them.  So if there is a restore all you need is the full sql backup & the last log backup.
       b.  standard - this backs up the log files and truncates them.  If there is a restore you need to restore the full sql backup & all the log backups since the last full sql backup.
    3-Yep - weekend works ok.  I wrote wed as a recent client I worked with performed full backups on wed :-)

Also - take a look at a backup package such as Symanted/Veritas BackupExec.  We use it for sql server backups and it does a nice job facilitating the backups and disaster recovery for windows and sql server.

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 7:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Tanguy,

Here's my recommendation:

A.  Create a management plan that runs on Wed and does a full backup.
    B.  Create a management plan that runs on all other days, but wed, and does a log file backup
    C.  Be sure to set your databases to full recovery mode.

Using the above you then have a full backup on wed, and all other days you backup the log files.  Each time you backup the log files it will clear them.  If you then had to do a full restore of Thursday, you could restore the log files and apply them.  This can be a bit tricky, but definitely doable all from within sql server.

I'd also recommend:
    --considering take backups off sites once per week or so
    --backup the data to a raid set of disks
    --backup the data to another box and not to sql server
    --create a management plan to delete old backups and to delete logs

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:39 PM
  • Many thanks Alex,

Few more questions:

1) you said "create a management plan to delete old backups and to delete logs": I thought that setting the "expire" setting of the backup would delete the old backup itself...
    If not, what is the use of this parameter ?

2) When you perform log backup and you need to restore, the restore procedure is made in one action, or you need to restore full backup, then each log backup?

3) Why Wednesday and not a week-end day ?

My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com
    You will find:
    Form Javascript Manager (export/import javascript from forms)
    ISV.Config Manager (graphical ISV.config edition - export/import)
    View Layout replicator (customize one view and replicate to others)
    And others (use tool tag on my blog)
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Hi,

1-I checked our scripts and we have an specific step to delete files older than 30 days.  I think the expire option does not delete the files, but simply marks the 'backup' in the file as expired.
    2-This depends on the backup type.  I'm not sure what transaction log backup types out of the box sql server supports.  There are usually two types:
       a.  copy - this backs up the log files and does not truncate/delete them.  So if there is a restore all you need is the full sql backup & the last log backup.
       b.  standard - this backs up the log files and truncates them.  If there is a restore you need to restore the full sql backup & all the log backups since the last full sql backup.
    3-Yep - weekend works ok.  I wrote wed as a recent client I worked with performed full backups on wed :-)

Also - take a look at a backup package such as Symanted/Veritas BackupExec.  We use it for sql server backups and it does a nice job facilitating the backups and disaster recovery for windows and sql server.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 7:55 PM
  • Ok, again, many thanks for your answers!
    My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com
    You will find:
    Form Javascript Manager (export/import javascript from forms)
    ISV.Config Manager (graphical ISV.config edition - export/import)
    View Layout replicator (customize one view and replicate to others)
    And others (use tool tag on my blog)
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 8:28 AM