I LOVE WHS! It formats my USB HD with my fav. music files! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Well... So I thought I´m  not to stupid... but I managed to format my USB HD with my best stuff on it.
    Maybe you can manage a request for reasking the format?
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 8:44 AM

All replies

• Ordinarily, whenever a disk is attached, the Wizard informs you that it will be formatted and that all data on the disk will be lost.

The only way not to do so, is to say 'no' when asked if you want to add it to the server, i which case, WHS does nothing to it, not even assigns a drive letter.

Are you saying it automatically formatted it?

Colin

Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:04 PM
  • This reminds me on the good old times with DOS:

DEL *.*

Are you sure?

YES I AM SURE, DONT STOP ME, I KNOW WHAT I DO.

Ok.

Enabling brain and staring on screen ...

*oops* I did not mean thaaaat folder ...

Everybody who deals with computers since a long time knows, that messages, that can be circumvented with a single click or key press which is in flesh and blood, often are getting ignored just to finish the task.

And this is the result.

Maybe the message should be in a flashy red and need you to type "I accept the loss of data" before going on.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Monday, August 18, 2008 10:26 AM
  • chrchrchr... yuz! I still remember the good old times ...

But i just give you some more infos about my stupid fault:

After installing the PowerPack to give me all the mighty power to backup my WHS... i pluged my 80 gig USB HD in my wonderfull home server and the system ask for the permission to format. Well do it! Just *** on it.. OK. But ahhh its just an 80 gig hd... much to small. Ok... next one plugged (a 250 gig usb) with about 100 gig of mp3 files.. and phone´s  ringing..
    just a klick and after the call i see "format bla bla ... 80% to go" ...  owned!!

Sometimes its better to make it sure-sure-sure. As we are on a backup system for enduser (and lamer as me)

Anyway the WHS is a cool thing and i love it.. and it helps me to make me free of illigal music files (nearly) 
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:13 PM
  • Ray, you may want to make a product suggestion on Connect if you feel strongly about multiple prompts before formatting a drive. However, in the long run, it's nearly impossible to protect a sufficiently inattentive user from the results of their inattentiveness (as I think you'll attest now Smile), so don't be too surprised if it gets closed as "won't fix".

As for illegal MP3s, I'm pretty sure eliminating them wasn't a design goal for Windows Home Server. Smile
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:30 PM
  • Sucks that WHS formatted your drive, it does give a warning before hand however breif it is. Good news is that as long as you don't start putting files back onto that freshly formatted drive you should be able to recover those seemingly lost media files. There are many programs that will recover from a formatted or even re-partitioned drive, the best i have found would be here http://www.file-recovery.net/ get Active@ Partition Recovery. If your going file by file recovery the trick is to filter by file type (.mp3 .jpg) etc..

hope that helps

keep pimpin
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:17 PM