When I can use OneCare's Command-line Scanner in NORMAL MODE? RRS feed

• Question

•  

When I can use OneCare's Command-line Scanner in NORMAL MODE?

When I click on the Command-line Scanner(OneCareScanner.exe  version2.0.2500.22), it displayed a black srceen without any commands showed, even I "cmd" it as "OneCareScanner.exe /?". It seems it's not completed. Or it does not release for use, right?

If it is a bug, please fix it ASAP, thank you!

Besides, does Onecare plan to have custom installation when I install it?

I think it should be better for users to choose which modules that they want!

Best regards,

Andos

Sunday, February 24, 2008 2:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Andos,

The only time that you can use OneCareScanner.exe is when you are on safemode. Once in safemode you would need to run a set of command lines on Command Prompt to initialize the scanning. Its not a bug, since it was designed as a command line utility specifically to run on safemode.

Here are some steps if you need to use the SafemodeAVScanner (SafeModeAVScanner.exe ):

1. Boot the Computer to safemode.

a. To boot the system to safemode keep hitting F8 after the restart of the computer and after you see the POST screen of the BIOS. 

b. On several OEM machines the keys are different it might be F9 or F11 but normally it should be F8.

2. Once in safemode open a command prompt window by going to Start then RUN and type in CMD then hit OK.

3. The command prompt should appear. On command prompt type in these commands hit enter after every command line:

a. CD\

b. CD Program Files

c. CD *live

d. safemodeavscanner -s -h -b

4. The final command would initialize a full system scan. IF the scanner finds any Malware after it ran the scan it should present several options to take on how to remove them.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 10:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Andos,

The only time that you can use OneCareScanner.exe is when you are on safemode. Once in safemode you would need to run a set of command lines on Command Prompt to initialize the scanning. Its not a bug, since it was designed as a command line utility specifically to run on safemode.

Here are some steps if you need to use the SafemodeAVScanner (SafeModeAVScanner.exe ):

1. Boot the Computer to safemode.

a. To boot the system to safemode keep hitting F8 after the restart of the computer and after you see the POST screen of the BIOS. 

b. On several OEM machines the keys are different it might be F9 or F11 but normally it should be F8.

2. Once in safemode open a command prompt window by going to Start then RUN and type in CMD then hit OK.

3. The command prompt should appear. On command prompt type in these commands hit enter after every command line:

a. CD\

b. CD Program Files

c. CD *live

d. safemodeavscanner -s -h -b

4. The final command would initialize a full system scan. IF the scanner finds any Malware after it ran the scan it should present several options to take on how to remove them.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 10:42 PM
  •  

Hi Aiscer,

First, thank you for your information!

Second, if it can be only used in safe mode. It sounds inconvenient. Why it does not support both in normal and safe modes? As I see, many Command-line scanners are supported in both modes. Hopefully, if it can support in both modes, it would be better and more flexible.

Last, is the OneCareScanner.exe is the same as SafeModeAVScanner.exe?

Thank you again!

Andos

Monday, February 25, 2008 9:32 AM
  • Hi, Andos.

I just had a look in the OneCare program folder and noticed that there are indeed two different scanners, one being the OneCareScanner.exe, which I had not noticed before. I don't know why it exists along with the SafeModeAVScanner.exe file.

As far as I knew, the second one is the one to use in Safe Mode - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1215336&SiteID=2

I don't know why the other exe exists or what it does as there is no command line scanning in normal mode.

I'll see if I can get some details.

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 1:38 PM
  • Hi Boots,

Thnaks for telling me this information.

But will Onecare add the function of command line scanning in normal mode?

It would be more convenient for users, right?

Andos

Monday, February 25, 2008 2:56 PM
  • You're welcome. I can't say if this will be provided with OneCare. I can see how some would want this functionality, but the inclusion of the Safe Mode scanner was done quietly and without announcement some time back. It wouldn't surprise me to see command line scanning available and that may be what that other exe is for. I don't expect the OneCare team t let me know of future plans, by the way.

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 4:34 PM
  •  

As far as I know these two executable files are needed to run the scanning at safemode. I checked the description of both of these files. For OneCareScanner.exe: Windows Live OneCare CommandLine Antivirus Scanner and for SafeModeAvScanner.exe: Windows Live OneCare Safe Mode Antivirus Scanning Utility.

Out of curiosity, I deleted the OneCareScanner.exe executable and initiated a scan in safemode it did not affect the scanning in any way. I maybe wrong in assuming that the OneCareScanner.exe is one of the files that can be utilized by the SafeModeAVScanner.exe just like a batch file which can call on another batch file as an example. I also tried scanning in normal mode without the OneCareScanner.exe and it did not affect the scanning of OneCare (Quick scan, Complete scan and Custom). Also in Tune-up it did not seem to affect the scanning.

The OneCareScanner.exe might prove to have either a different functionality during scanning in safe mode or scanning with OneCare on normal mode. For a 24kb file it may have a good purpose since its part of the AntiMalware component of OneCare. I agree with Steve, we can't be exactly sure of what it does until we can get someone from the OneCare team to let us know its definite purpose.

Monday, February 25, 2008 8:59 PM
  • I asked the OneCare team about the OneCareScanner.exe and learned that it is there for use by Windows Live Messenger exclusively.

-steve

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:57 AM
  • Thanks Steve for that information.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 3:07 AM
  • Thank you for this information, Steve.

It's sad that the command line scanner is not for general use.

Hopefully, the command line scanning function can be used in future( for general and in normal mode).

Andos

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 9:54 AM
  •  

Another question,

is VirusTotal using a Windows version Command-Line Scanner of OneCare?

If so, why VirusTotal can use it in normal mode, but OneCare's users cannot?

Andos

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:38 AM
  •  Andos wrote:

Another question,

is VirusTotal using a Windows version Command-Line Scanner of OneCare?

If so, why VirusTotal can use it in normal mode, but OneCare's users cannot?

Andos

Virus Total has nothing to do with OneCare, specifically. I believe that you are referring to the free online scanner at www.virustotal.com and the list refers to the Antimalware Engine, which is shared by Defender, OneCare, and Forefront.

-steve

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:30 PM
  • OneCareScanner.exe is the MSN messenger scanning executable so that OneCare can scan incoming and outgoing files in MSN.

If you have MSN installed, go under tools > options > file transfer or whatever and you will see that OneCareScanner.exe is specified as the AV scanning tool for MSN.

It cannot be used outside of MSN.

The SafeModeAVScanner.exe is the Safe Mode scanning tool, for use when certain viruses cannot be removed in Normal mode because of file permission / locked issues in Normal mode.  It's mainly just used by Support from what I know.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:07 AM