Which one to go-70536 or 70515 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi...

I have been working in ASP.NET for one year. i want to appear for MCTS. But i am confused which one to follow. Please Suggest.

Thanks

Monday, January 30, 2012 8:49 AM

Answers

• Exam 70-536 is designed to measure your knowledge of .NET development fundamentals and is not tied to a particular version of .NET whereas 70-515 is specific to .Net Framework 4.0 and developing Web Applications.  I would recommend that you do 70-536 and the 70-515.
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Marked as answer by _Aslan007 Monday, January 30, 2012 10:35 AM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 8:59 AM

All replies

• Exam 70-536 is designed to measure your knowledge of .NET development fundamentals and is not tied to a particular version of .NET whereas 70-515 is specific to .Net Framework 4.0 and developing Web Applications.  I would recommend that you do 70-536 and the 70-515.
    Jeff Wharton

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Marked as answer by _Aslan007 Monday, January 30, 2012 10:35 AM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 8:59 AM
  • Thanks Jeff for your precious advice.
    Arsalan
    Monday, January 30, 2012 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

I would suggest to just do 70-515.

The content of 70-536 is something you should look up, too. It covers parts that are important but the exam does not really give you anything except an entry on your transcript. So you might shoose to not spend money on it. (And when you read over the topics, then you have a basic understanding and you can always quickly read the details when you decide to use the technology.)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, January 30, 2012 9:58 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I would suggest to just do 70-515.

The content of 70-536 is something you should look up, too. It covers parts that are important but the exam does not really give you anything except an entry on your transcript. So you might shoose to not spend money on it. (And when you read over the topics, then you have a basic understanding and you can always quickly read the details when you decide to use the technology.)

With kind regards,

Konrad

I disagree.  70-536 provides the grounding for .Net Development, hence the reason why it still exists.

Jeff Wharton

• Edited by Mr. Wharty Monday, January 30, 2012 10:01 AM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 10:01 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

at least I have a different view on this:

the exam is still there, because it is part of the Visual Studio 2008 exams that are still valid. I expect the exam to go, as soon as the Visual Studio 2012 exams will be there - as it happened with the Visual Studio 2005 exams when the 2010 exams came. And Microsoft decided to not keep such an exam in VS 2010 exams (Which is a shame in my eyes! So I am really near your opinion!).

I agree, that there are some basic technologies described in there. But some parts described in there are marked as obsolete in .Net 4. This is also something that should be considered.

I fully agree, that a lot of content is something that I expect the developers to know. So yes: people should always spend some time in it. Best example are TraceSource / TraceListener! (I think it is funny, that people think they need something like log4net for some simple logging!) But I am not sure, that it is that helpfull to know all topics in the full exam deep level. There are multiple parts that I never ever used in my daily job as developer. So it was a waste of time to get these topics in so much detail. The overview would have been enough (I have to read stuff up again when using it now. So for example now I have to work with isolated storage on Windows Phone 7 and that was one topic in 70-536 ... but I had to read it up again ... Not just because I forgot parts but also to make sure that I am not missing anything important on WP7)

I just explained how I came to my opinion. I hope you also see, that out opinions are not to far away from each other. It is just a little weight after learning some stuff. (And maybe I am not strict enough. Also a reason why I didn't do an exam in the last year. I was reading so much and didn't follow a path till the end. But I am mainly focusing on my work and I wanted to get all the stuff first that I really needed and never spend the time to prepare for the exam through some more practicing what I read. So I also see, that there might be disadvantages when doing it "my way" when I had no more certifications for some time but learned a lot about multiple technologies.)

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Monday, January 30, 2012 10:39 AM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 10:38 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Jeff,

at least I have a different view on this:

the exam is still there, because it is part of the Visual Studio 2008 exams that are still valid. I expect the exam to go, as soon as the Visual Studio 2012 exams will be there - as it happened with the Visual Studio 2005 exams when the 2010 exams came. And Microsoft decided to not keep such an exam in VS 2010 exams (Which is a shame in my eyes! So I am really near your opinion!).

I agree, that there are some basic technologies described in there. But some parts described in there are marked as obsolete in .Net 4. This is also something that should be considered.

I fully agree, that a lot of content is something that I expect the developers to know. So yes: people should always spend some time in it. Best example are TraceSource / TraceListener! (I think it is funny, that people think they need something like log4net for some simple logging!) But I am not sure, that it is that helpfull to know all topics in the full exam deep level. There are multiple parts that I never ever used in my daily job as developer. So it was a waste of time to get these topics in so much detail. The overview would have been enough (I have to read stuff up again when using it now. So for example now I have to work with isolated storage on Windows Phone 7 and that was one topic in 70-536 ... but I had to read it up again ... Not just because I forgot parts but also to make sure that I am not missing anything important on WP7)

I just explained how I came to my opinion. I hope you also see, that out opinions are not to far away from each other. It is just a little weight after learning some stuff. (And maybe I am not strict enough. Also a reason why I didn't do an exam in the last year. I was reading so much and didn't follow a path till the end. But I am mainly focusing on my work and I wanted to get all the stuff first that I really needed and never spend the time to prepare for the exam through some more practicing what I read. So I also see, that there might be disadvantages when doing it "my way" when I had no more certifications for some time but learned a lot about multiple technologies.)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Agree.  It's always good to have a wide range of opinions :-)
    Jeff Wharton

Monday, January 30, 2012 10:40 AM
  • Thanks guys for your insight. I really appreciate your 360 view of the topic:)
    Arsalan
    Monday, January 30, 2012 11:18 AM