Backups failing on vista machines but not XP machines RRS feed

• Question

• I'm backing up four computers on my WHS: two running XP and two running Vista.

The XP computers continue to backup fine, the Vista machines stop at 60% and say "The backup failed because of a problem with your Windows Home Server Connector Software. The system event log contains more details."

The event log says nothing except "Received abort message from <computername> with reason 7

I am directed to click a link for more information which, when I do, brings up the Help and Support Center with:

"No results were found for your query."

I'm also asked if I want to send information to Microsoft, when I click "Send" I get a message that sending the error messages, which I've always done in the past, is a Security Violation in IE 8, then the message "Internet Explorer 8 has stopped working".

Why is everything MS does so convoluted?

Backups were working fine until the last Windows "update". The connector appears to be working fine in terms of accessing the console on my WHS.

Friday, July 3, 2009 4:00 AM

All replies

• I'm backing up four computers on my WHS: two running XP and two running Vista.

The XP computers continue to backup fine, the Vista machines stop at 60% and say "The backup failed because of a problem with your Windows Home Server Connector Software. The system event log contains more details."

The event log says nothing except "Received abort message from <computername> with reason 7

I am directed to click a link for more information which, when I do, brings up the Help and Support Center with:

"No results were found for your query."

I'm also asked if I want to send information to Microsoft, when I click "Send" I get a message that sending the error messages, which I've always done in the past, is a Security Violation in IE 8, then the message "Internet Explorer 8 has stopped working".

Why is everything MS does so convoluted?

Backups were working fine until the last Windows "update". The connector appears to be working fine in terms of accessing the console on my WHS.

Do you have any software installed on the Vista clients that you do not have installed on the XP clients that may be causing a problem with backup? Specifically A/V, firewall, or VSS writers (backup/imaging)?

Also, please try running chkdsk /r on the client machines in question to rule out disk errors.

As for IE, an add-in may be causing this problem but you should probably post about this in the Vista NGs or forums. Watson is part of the OS.

Which Windows update was applied?  The one to the server (PP2) or the one to the Vista clients?

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, July 3, 2009 4:40 AM
  • I'm running Norton Antivirus on all four machines. Backup had been working fine, but has stopped working. Drive C: backs up, but Drive D: does not.

Chkdsk reports no errors on the disks.

All of the machines are set to auto-update so I assume both the server and clients have been updated.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 9:08 PM
  • I'm running Norton Antivirus on all four machines. Backup had been working fine, but has stopped working. Drive C: backs up, but Drive D: does not.

Chkdsk reports no errors on the disks.

All of the machines are set to auto-update so I assume both the server and clients have been updated.

I would suspect something wrong with the D:\ drive.  Do you have any manufacturer diagnostics that you can run for that drive?

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, July 3, 2009 9:15 PM