Genuine Software RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just loaded you Genuine Windows Genuine Notification program on my laptop computer. I see one of the items the program sends to Microsoft is the hard drive serial number. I back up my computer disk by cloning to an external drive. I do a lot of international travel to some locations where I don't always have internet, nor telephone, access. I am concerned that if my internal drive dies, and (it's happened) and I must replace it with a cloned drive, it will ask for reactivation.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:53 PM

Answers

• If you do not have a live internet connection, then the WGA data file on your computer cannot communicate with the Microsoft activation or WGA servers.  Therefore, you should not be requested to activate the new hard drive.

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:29 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:14 PM

All replies

• If you do not have a live internet connection, then the WGA data file on your computer cannot communicate with the Microsoft activation or WGA servers.  Therefore, you should not be requested to activate the new hard drive.

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:29 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:14 PM
  • Close, but no cigar. Are you telling me that if I were to upgrade or replace my hard drive with a cloned drive, that I need to reactivate the operating system the next time I log into the internet? I might be able to understand it if several items were changed, but find it unconsciounable that I need to re-activate my computer by merely replacing/upgrading my hard drive. If this is the case, please let me know. I have responsibility for a total workforce of eighteen thousand employees is 3 countries. If reactivaton is required for replacing/upgrading a hard drive, I will need to recommend changing our operating systems on our foreign employees, and those that travel.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 5:49 PM
  • Technical Details on Microsoft Product Activation: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457054.aspx

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 6:17 PM
  • I have accidently loaded your MS Genuine Software file (I think you call it WGA) that queries my hard drive for its serial number and size whenever it boots up, and if it sees a different hard drive, it requires re-registering. Which if I was aware it did, I would NEVER have installed it. I do a lot of software testing from my programmers in México, and other countries. To protect my computer, I clone my hard drive hard drive before testing, so that if my system dies because my XP Professional is trashed or the appllications programs are hurt, I have a 5 minute method of getting up and running again. (Which has saved my bacon several times in the past). If there were several things changed at the same time (different CPU, different memory, different BIOS) I would not complain. But the hard drive?  Nor do I alway carry the ditribution disks for other software that has been trashed. I just replace the drive, and can contiue on. I KNOW I am not the only person with this situation. There has got to be other software developers out there that do the same thing, I have seen postings from them, and they apparently have been given some kind of work around to this problem. To REPEAT: The ONLY thing I replace is my Hard Drive. It is otherwise the EXACT same computer: A Toshiba Satellite 1415-S173, Serial number Y2119515P. I also rotate hard drives from time to time (identical in their 60GB size) so that I can extend the life of these drives. Also, I do not always have telephone access to your registration hot line to explain WHY I would be making multiple re-registrations. Now, there HAS to be some work around to this problem!!! I do the technical sprogramming implimentation of a company that has over 18,000 employees. I have my own programmers clone their HD's twice a week so that they don't have to go through hours of re-installing their operating systems and applications software. Which can take hours out of their productivity. Every time I have sent an e-amil similar to this one, I get some tyoe of vague response that doens't fit my need. I learned the trick of cloning my hard drive from a Toshiba tech who told me he recommends this apporach to many of his clients for the same reasons I do. So, PLEASE, don't send me another canned answer that has NOTHING to do wiht what I am writing about! You have arbbitrarily changed the rules of the game, and while I have been one of your champions in the past, I can now understand why so many people thint your cures are far worse than the disease.  Richard B K

Saturday, March 1, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Use volumeid from sysinternals to change the volume serial number (VSN) of your new hard drive to match that of the old drive on which XP was activated. Sysinternals is now a part of Microsoft. You can get more details and download the utility here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/fileanddisk/volumeid.mspx

Basically, the output of a DIR command will show you the VSN of your current drive in the second line. Use that VSN as a command-line argument for volumeid.exe. Alternatively, you can also use the VOL command at a command prompt; it will show you the first two lines of the DIR output and nothing else.

With 18,000 employees, do you not have access to XP Corporate and a volume product id? It does not require activation; you can change out hardware with impunity.

By the way, I'm not with Microsoft; I'm just another guy out here in the trenches who's had to deal with lots of "friendly fire" from Microsoft. In fact, I classify WGA as malware since it is capable of rendering legitimate systems non-functional; I do not allow it to be downloaded or installed on my network.
    Monday, March 3, 2008 5:09 PM
  • Yancey,

Thanks for trying to help, but when you clone a hard disk, it also copies over the volume serial number. What the new WGA does is go into the System Properties and retrieves the hard drive information from the eprom of the hard drive. Then that is what triggers the alert to MS to require re-registration of the product(s).

I agree with you that WGA IS malware. But by the time I realized what the new WGA did (and it also tells you that you CANNOT un-install it), it was too late. As for the size of the company, we used to have an IT director who would try to tell me what applications software I had premission to install and use. At that time I determined that I would always own my own computers. So, it is outside the XP Corporate program here.

But thanks for the suggestion. We've gone through several iterations of IT directors here, so I'll try with the new one. She seems more reasonable.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 5:15 PM