WHS Shared HDD Removal Failure - File Conflicts.... -New Array - No Data On Set - RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon everyone, and thank you in advance for any help.  I am an 18 yr computer builder, run my own IT company, plenty of networking and RAID experience, but NEW to WHS.

this is a two fold question, because I seem to have borked (technical term) my setup.  I have a RAID 5 array I have setup with 1.5TB drives.  I am having an issue adding the array to WHS as it keeps chopping it down to 2TB leaving the other 3.xx TB of space 'unpartitioned' when viewed in Computer Management, and I am unable to work with it. 

My issue is this.  Adding the array to WHS and having it show up as now part of the shared space, I went into Disk Management FIRST, and deleted the partition BEFORE going into the WHS server console and REMOVING the drive from the pool of shared storage.

Yes, I realize my mistake now.

There are no files to worry about, so im not worried about losing data. but what I can't figure out is how to remove the shared storage, because every time i try, it tells me that it cannot remove due to 'File conflicts prevented the hard drive removal'.

since there are no files on it, the concern for blowing it away is not a worry.  what I am worried about is having to do something to the array and go through another 27 hour initialization process in order to get this system back up and running.

the WHS is on its own hard drive on a separate controller, the array on its own.  Is there somewhere I am just missing, that i can make a change to get that shared storage that doesnt exist out of the WHS so I  can step through the process of readding it?

the second part of this issue is what broght me to this situation in the first place.  the array is made up of 5 1.5TB hard drives.  i want the ENTIRE array to be available in the shared storage, and I do not see why I keep running into a 2TB drive limitation when I add the storage up.  The whole point of this is to use the ENTIRE space.  I do not want to break apart the array and add the drives one at a time.  I wanted the Fault Tolerance of a RAID-5 array to be the backbone of this server.

Any direction is certainly appreciated, and I thank you in advance for your time.  If there is any more information you require, please let me know.  I am antsy to get this going, and right now am at a stopping point until i can get this space (that doesnt exist) cleaned out of the WHS Server Storage console, and then the pointer as to how I go about adding my ENTIRE array size to the WHS Server Storage will move me along.

Again, the server install is BRAND NEW, so there is no concerns about having to do a reinstall, my BIGGEST concern is if I do a reinstall am I going to lose my array and have to start the whole creation process all over, which woudl be another 27 hour initailization process I really dont want to do.

Spacifics of system:

Primary WHS HDD for OS install is 768GB SATA samsung on IOGEAR PCi-E 2 channel SATA controller Model: GICe711S3

Motherboard: Intel DG45ID Media Series

RAID CONTROLLER: Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM v8.0.0.1039 ICH10R wRAID5

Raid set: RAID-5 64KB strip, nonbootable.

Its been a year since I have messed around with an array, and again, if i need to reinstall my WHS (which i certainly hope i dont need to), since the RAID controller is built onto the motherboard and the array is defined and setup, would I be able to get away with unplugging the array, setting up the OS, and then bringing the array back on line?

thanks again in advance for any and all help.  I know this was a long post, but I like to make sure that I have as MUCH information out there initially so we don't have to go back and forth getting clarity before an answer.

Thanks again!

-Javad0g (andrew)
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:00 PM

Answers

• I am still getting a 'File Conflicts prevented the Hard Drive Removal. 

i have disconnected that array completely...

Suggestions?
    Unfortunately, the only supported recovery is Server Reinstallation.  (You could try modifying the registry, but it's unsupported and, unless you really know what you're doing, definitely not recommended.)
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:38 PM

All replies

• Good afternoon everyone, and thank you in advance for any help.  I am an 18 yr computer builder, run my own IT company, plenty of networking and RAID experience, but NEW to WHS.

this is a two fold question, because I seem to have borked (technical term) my setup.  I have a RAID 5 array I have setup with 1.5TB drives.

FYI, RAID is unsupported on WHS.

I am having an issue adding the array to WHS as it keeps chopping it down to 2TB leaving the other 3.xx TB of space 'unpartitioned' when viewed in Computer Management, and I am unable to work with it. 

That's normal.  In order to get above 2 TB on a "single drive", the drive must be formatted as a GPT partition (which WHS doesn't do, it creates all drives using standard MBR).

My issue is this.  Adding the array to WHS and having it show up as now part of the shared space, I went into Disk Management FIRST, and deleted the partition BEFORE going into the WHS server console and REMOVING the drive from the pool of shared storage.

Yes, I realize my mistake now.

There are no files to worry about, so im not worried about losing data. but what I can't figure out is how to remove the shared storage, because every time i try, it tells me that it cannot remove due to 'File conflicts prevented the hard drive removal'.

since there are no files on it, the concern for blowing it away is not a worry.  what I am worried about is having to do something to the array and go through another 27 hour initialization process in order to get this system back up and running.

the WHS is on its own hard drive on a separate controller, the array on its own.  Is there somewhere I am just missing, that i can make a change to get that shared storage that doesnt exist out of the WHS so I  can step through the process of readding it?

Did you try powering down the server, disconnecting your array, powering the server up, then removing the drive through the Console?  (In this scenario, WHS should treat it as a failed drive and allow the removal.)

the second part of this issue is what broght me to this situation in the first place.  the array is made up of 5 1.5TB hard drives.  i want the ENTIRE array to be available in the shared storage, and I do not see why I keep running into a 2TB drive limitation when I add the storage up.  The whole point of this is to use the ENTIRE space.  I do not want to break apart the array and add the drives one at a time.  I wanted the Fault Tolerance of a RAID-5 array to be the backbone of this server.

See my post about GPT above.  Basically, your options are A) break the array so each 1.5 TB drive is on its own or B) switch to smaller drives that, when added up, come to a total of 2 TB or less.

Any direction is certainly appreciated, and I thank you in advance for your time.  If there is any more information you require, please let me know.  I am antsy to get this going, and right now am at a stopping point until i can get this space (that doesnt exist) cleaned out of the WHS Server Storage console, and then the pointer as to how I go about adding my ENTIRE array size to the WHS Server Storage will move me along.

Again, the server install is BRAND NEW, so there is no concerns about having to do a reinstall, my BIGGEST concern is if I do a reinstall am I going to lose my array and have to start the whole creation process all over, which woudl be another 27 hour initailization process I really dont want to do.

Spacifics of system:

Primary WHS HDD for OS install is 768GB SATA samsung on IOGEAR PCi-E 2 channel SATA controller Model: GICe711S3

Motherboard: Intel DG45ID Media Series

RAID CONTROLLER: Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM v8.0.0.1039 ICH10R wRAID5

Raid set: RAID-5 64KB strip, nonbootable.

Its been a year since I have messed around with an array, and again, if i need to reinstall my WHS (which i certainly hope i dont need to), since the RAID controller is built onto the motherboard and the array is defined and setup, would I be able to get away with unplugging the array, setting up the OS, and then bringing the array back on line?

thanks again in advance for any and all help.  I know this was a long post, but I like to make sure that I have as MUCH information out there initially so we don't have to go back and forth getting clarity before an answer.

Thanks again!

-Javad0g (andrew)

Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:27 PM
  • I have not tried to disconnect and then boot up to remove.  will do that right now.

my understanding was that the raid array, being hardware, is just another layer.  and if i do have a drive failure, that layer can be accessed first, (ie, remove the bad drive and let the array rebuild it) and this would not effect my shares through WHS.

I had also heard that there was a way to get WHS to recognize a 'partition' larger than 2TB.  I am having a hard time believing that in this day and age we are seeing a limitation of 2TB for a particular 'partition'.

first things first, and I certainly thank you for your input and support sir, thank you very much.  let me power down this thing and come back into the OS and get that drive removed from the WHS console first. 

i hope that solves that part of the problem so then I can move forward addressing the other.

Thank you again

-Andrew
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 7:20 PM

Suggestions?
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 7:35 PM
  • I have not tried to disconnect and then boot up to remove.  will do that right now.

my understanding was that the raid array, being hardware, is just another layer.  and if i do have a drive failure, that layer can be accessed first, (ie, remove the bad drive and let the array rebuild it) and this would not effect my shares through WHS.

That's correct.  However, RAID is still unsupported on WHS (not the least reason of which is if you have a drive failure, there is no notification on the Console anywhere that it failed).

I had also heard that there was a way to get WHS to recognize a 'partition' larger than 2TB.  I am having a hard time believing that in this day and age we are seeing a limitation of 2TB for a particular 'partition'.

That's a limit of the old MBR partition (just like 4 GB of RAM is the max for a 32-bit OS).  In order for any OS to see more than 2 TB, the partition must be GPT (and WHS simply doesn't set up a drive as GPT).  There is no supported method to change a drive to GPT either.

first things first, and I certainly thank you for your input and support sir, thank you very much.  let me power down this thing and come back into the OS and get that drive removed from the WHS console first. 

i hope that solves that part of the problem so then I can move forward addressing the other.

Thank you again

-Andrew

Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:34 PM

Suggestions?
    Unfortunately, the only supported recovery is Server Reinstallation.  (You could try modifying the registry, but it's unsupported and, unless you really know what you're doing, definitely not recommended.)
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:38 PM
  • That is where i thought i was.  But I wanted to make sure before I pulled the trigger.

Certainly appreciate all your help.  Thank you...

1 Sunday Afternoon Server Reinstall Coming Up.

*smile*

-Andrew
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:43 PM