none
Recovery CD cant find my homeserver RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

As lots of others I got the problem with my connection to my Home Server. I found the drivers from the backup file and copied them over to a flash drive. The Restore CD found the drivers and seemed to load them successfully. But it still cant find the server. I checked my physical wire connection and none of the LED lamps are on. The OS I am trying to recover is 64-bit Windows 7, and i dont know if the drivers are comp with the Restore CD.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 12:32 PM

All replies

• Hi!

As lots of others I got the problem with my connection to my Home Server. I found the drivers from the backup file and copied them over to a flash drive. The Restore CD found the drivers and seemed to load them successfully. But it still cant find the server. I checked my physical wire connection and none of the LED lamps are on. The OS I am trying to recover is 64-bit Windows 7, and i dont know if the drivers are comp with the Restore CD.

The restore environment created from the CD is 32-bit.  Try locating the 32-bit version of the driver for your NIC and OS from the internet and see if that helps.  Or, as an alternative, you can connect a new hard drive to a client and run the restore environment from within Windows by running C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Tried downloading the latest 32 bit drivers.
    Tried downloading the latest Recover CD.
    Tried using a different LAN card. It seemed to react to the internet cable, because the light were on, but did not appear on the Recover Wizard

And I cant use the ClientRestoreWizard because I am running a 4-disk RAID.

This is great! :/

But how can the Wizard find the drivers to the LAN card, load them, and still dont get the connection. The fact that the LED lamps close to the LAN-port does not blink must mean that its not enabled or something? Usually a LAN port blinks even when the computer is turned of, but in this case it doesnt blink even after drivers are installed?

Its an internal LAN card
    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=qH6ZSEJ8EPY6HoNU ( take a look at the download section and LAN drivers.)
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 6:50 PM
  • This would seem to indicate that either your LAN cable is faulty, the port on your router is faulty, or your network card is either using the wrong drivers, or is faulty.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 6:52 PM
  • The cable worked right before the harddrive broke, and the LEDs reacted as I connected it to my other LAN card.
    Port on my router shouldent be a problem. Restored other computers on the network before, but ill check it again tomorrow.
    Possibility that the drivers are wrong is small. Used the same drivers only for 64 bit. And ASUS havent got many bad drivers.
    Maybe the port is faulty as you say. What ill try is to download Linux for a memorystick and see if that helps. If I get internet on the Linux, the port is ok.

In worst case ill have to use only 1 disk and do the ClientRecoverWizard from a different computer. Can it be run from the server itself, or does it have to be a client?
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 8:51 PM
  • The cable worked right before the harddrive broke, and the LEDs reacted as I connected it to my other LAN card.
    Port on my router shouldent be a problem. Restored other computers on the network before, but ill check it again tomorrow.
    Possibility that the drivers are wrong is small. Used the same drivers only for 64 bit. And ASUS havent got many bad drivers.
    Maybe the port is faulty as you say. What ill try is to download Linux for a memorystick and see if that helps. If I get internet on the Linux, the port is ok.

In worst case ill have to use only 1 disk and do the ClientRecoverWizard from a different computer. Can it be run from the server itself, or does it have to be a client?

Only from a client.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 11:39 PM
  • Please be also aware, that the restore only works, if the new disk/volume size is not smaller than the original volume size.
    And if you did boot from RAID before, I am not sure, if the OS will boot after restoring to a single disk. I would say, no, but with Win 7 I did not make such tests, maybe it improved (or the startup repair is now fixing also such issues)?

Another idea would be to attach another disk to the system with the RAID as single boot disk, install an OS on it (Win 7 without key should work), install WHS connector and attempt a restore to the original disk combo from there.
    Best greetings from Germany and good luck
    Olaf
    Monday, August 24, 2009 9:14 AM
  • Finelly!! I swaped the LAN card with the one on my server. Not old Intel gigabit card, and enabled the old on-board port on the server. Put that card in mine and am restoring now!!! Dont seem to be a problem to restore on a smaller harddrive. Havent finished yet, but I cant be that unlucky! :P Thanks for the help guys! Its great to have you!
    Monday, August 24, 2009 8:28 PM
  • Hi,
    nice to hear.
    It's not the physical disk size, but the volume size, which usually matters. (Sometimes you may be lucky, but usually a restore to a smaller volume will be rejected.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, August 24, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Ok. The Restore worked perfectly. I finished the wizard and was ready to boot for the first time, but of cause. An error. "Reboot and select proper boot device" It doesnt seem to be any problems with the RAID. The RAID tool shows that the drives are healthy and fully functional. The Boot settings are set to "Intel: RAID Volume", and ive tried alot of different settings in BIOS. I checked the harddrives for jumpers, and saw that one of the drives had one, and removed it. All of the drives havent got any jumpers now. And i still get the same Error. What can cause it?
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:29 AM
  • Try to boot from the Windows 7 DVD and run the Startup repair.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:56 PM
  • Is it possible to install Windows 7 all over again. Load Linux from a memorystick, copy the hole content of the prev RAID setup to an external harddrive and copy the hole disk from the ex- harddrive to the internal harddrive?

Trying to restore the old backup again on only one 500gig disk. but that disk is still not big enough for the RAID backup.. :/
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:57 PM
  • AFAIK Windows 7 unfortunately, as already Vista, does not support a repair installation like XP did.

So if you cannot boot, you are somewhat lost.
    The problematic stuff are the mass storage drivers - they differ between RAID and normal SATA. So if the system boots from one kind, it won't do from another.

You might try to perform a parallel installation of Windows 7 (or boot into the command prompt of the repair environment in the Windows 7 DVD) and attempt to inject the proper drivers into the system (by copying the proper files and modifying the registry of the restored system). But other people had not much success that way in the past (different with swapping between IDE and SATA mode), so it might be better to reinstall of Windows and applications and after done with it restore the files manually to the appropriate locations.
    If you do not format the target drive during installation, the folders for Windows, Program Files and users are getting renamed and not deleted.

Olaf

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 12:57 PM
  • I bought a new harddrive and restored the holde thing again. I noticed that the space on the RAID now was even bigger then the backup. But guess what. "Reboot and Select proper Boot device". How can there be any problems now? The harddrives are the same as before ( new disk is a different one but the RAID is now even bigger then before ). And am getting really pissed at my computer, why it cant just work. Been trying everything now, and there is alot of stuff to reinstall if I decide to install Windows 7 all over again. If I have the DVD with Windows 7? Everything is working against me.. :/
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:05 PM
  • You did not restore to the RAID, but to a single disk, if I understand correctly?
    But your Windows, which you did restore, will still attempt to boot from RAID (with the drivers for that configuration), and that is, what is not working.
    Olaf
    Friday, August 28, 2009 8:46 AM