Hard Drive Configuration RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just ordered all the pieces to build my new WHS, very excited about this btw....  Anyways, I purchased 2 WD 640GB SATA II HDDs for storage for the purposes of turning duplication on.   I was thinking about the installation, and wondered what the best way to set this up would be.

Should I purchase another smaller HDD and use that for the OS install?  Also, I have 1 160GB SATA I drive I am not using I could possibly use for the OS. 

Do many people use duplication? Or is it better to just us the big pool of space?

Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:20 PM

Answers

• Hi and welcome,

The option of using a smaller drive for the system is really only one you can make. Microsoft recommend using your largest available drive as the first, system drive and consensus through the beta's was that one somewhere around 300 to 500GB is about right. However, if you never, ever transfer large files to your server, then you wouldn't need the available space that this size drive could provide. However, personally, I wouldn't ever go for something as small as 160GB, as by the time it's been formatted and the system has eaten a chunk out, (20GB), you aren't left with much landing space which is required to transfer files to your server.

The option of duplication also depends on your use, that is, are you storing information on there, which will not be anywhere else, photographs, personal documents etc, then not having duplication enabled is taking a BIG risk, however, if for example, you are storing rips from your DVD's, then duplication isn't so important as you already have a backup available.

There is quite a lot of information available here, which might help. 

Colin

Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:30 PM

All replies

• Hi and welcome,

The option of using a smaller drive for the system is really only one you can make. Microsoft recommend using your largest available drive as the first, system drive and consensus through the beta's was that one somewhere around 300 to 500GB is about right. However, if you never, ever transfer large files to your server, then you wouldn't need the available space that this size drive could provide. However, personally, I wouldn't ever go for something as small as 160GB, as by the time it's been formatted and the system has eaten a chunk out, (20GB), you aren't left with much landing space which is required to transfer files to your server.

The option of duplication also depends on your use, that is, are you storing information on there, which will not be anywhere else, photographs, personal documents etc, then not having duplication enabled is taking a BIG risk, however, if for example, you are storing rips from your DVD's, then duplication isn't so important as you already have a backup available.

There is quite a lot of information available here, which might help. 

Colin

Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:30 PM
  • Duplication is a way of protecting your data from the failure of a single drive (by far the most common PC failure mode). If you have a share with data that you feel you can afford to lose, there is no need to have duplication turned on for that share. For example, I don't have duplication turned on for my Videos or Music shares. I have archival (long-term, not external HDD) backups of the data, and if needed I can recreate the contents from other sources.

Regarding disk sizes, I think that 160 GB as the system drive is a bit small. I don't necessarily think you need to use one of your 640 GB drives in that capacity, however. Probably you will gain some benefits from a system drive in the range of 250 GB-500 GB, if you're willing to go out and buy an additional drive. If you would rather not, and you're willing to live with the limitation of a 160 GB system drive (which limits the amount of data you can copy/move to your server in a single shot) then I would use the 160 GB.
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:57 PM
  • I just ordered an additional WD 400GB SATA II drive.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:16 PM