Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have the same problem.

Over 3 years ago I bought a laptop from Dell with Office 2003 already installed.

Last week, I started getting messages telling me the software is not genuine.

Come on Microsoft and sort it out. I don't have the techinical skills to sort it myself and its beginning to look like neither do Microsoft!

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-7DYG9-GMG4P-JD7FD
    Windows Product Key Hash: NtRD6TUxPGPLso8JrXLpV2Z0q3Q=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2262333-94245
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {C10CCB48-B2B9-41C1-BF5A-746D666A5FBF}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 2.0.48.0
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{C10CCB48-B2B9-41C1-BF5A-746D666A5FBF}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-JD7FD</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2262333-94245</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-839522115-413027322-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>MM061                           </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A06</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20060609000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>736338CF0184606E</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>1</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57217</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 4000:Dell Inc|4000:Microsoft Corporation
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Monday, September 14, 2009 10:53 AM

Answers

• Hello John B 1001,

The copy of Office currently installed on your Dell laptop is a nongenuine Volume Licensing edition of Office 2003 Pro and did not come from Dell preinstalled.  The product key used to do this installation is a widely pirated Office product key which has been blocked from further use by Microsoft.

Editions of Office preinstalled by Dell or other large computer manufacturers on the computers of individual consumers will be OEM licenses, not Volume licenses.

Please locate the materials that were sent to you with your computer purchase.  You are looking for a plain white cardboard CD sleeve that looks like this picture:  http://i1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/110/690/529/QHPzNdn5HzzJE92.jpg  One the bacl there will be a Certificate of Authenticity with Dell printed on it, as well as the description of the edition of Office 2003 you purchased and the Product Key for your license for Office.

To get genuine, you can uninstall the nongenuine installation of Office, restart the computer twice, then using the genuine CDs provided by Dell, do a fresh installation of Office.  Or, you can try to change the installed Product Key by following the steps in this MS KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895456
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, September 14, 2009 2:41 PM

All replies

• I am absolutely convinced that my Office software package is genuine - all the security features are present, holograms & etc., even the clamshell case has the Microsoft logo moulded into it.  We're seeing on these forums many complaints about previously valid software being deemed invalid, and an informal Google (sorry, Bing) suggests that we're not the only ones.

Sheer weight of numbers and basic service management process suggests this needs to be looked into by Microsoft as a matter of relative urgency.

I have no issue with MS protecting their software, providing the protection mechanism doesn't inconvenience legitimate owners.  Right now, it is.  I'm on a client site - if one of these "Fake Software " warnings pops up in the middle of my sales presentation, I will lose all credibility and any further business.  As a legitimate owner I would a) be livid and b) frankly no longer care whether future MS software acquisitions were legal or not.

So please MS - let's have some action!!  The least I expect is an acknowledgement of the problem and a timeframe for further updates.  Do any of the volunteers on this board have a way in to MS?

Andrew

Monday, September 14, 2009 1:04 PM
  • Hello apacuk,

Please insert into the computer the apparently genuine Office CD that came in your packaging.  Navigate to [drive_letter]:\files\setup\setup.ini.

Please copy/paste the contents of this file into a response.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, September 14, 2009 2:30 PM
  • Hello John B 1001,

The copy of Office currently installed on your Dell laptop is a nongenuine Volume Licensing edition of Office 2003 Pro and did not come from Dell preinstalled.  The product key used to do this installation is a widely pirated Office product key which has been blocked from further use by Microsoft.

Editions of Office preinstalled by Dell or other large computer manufacturers on the computers of individual consumers will be OEM licenses, not Volume licenses.

Please locate the materials that were sent to you with your computer purchase.  You are looking for a plain white cardboard CD sleeve that looks like this picture:  http://i1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/110/690/529/QHPzNdn5HzzJE92.jpg  One the bacl there will be a Certificate of Authenticity with Dell printed on it, as well as the description of the edition of Office 2003 you purchased and the Product Key for your license for Office.

To get genuine, you can uninstall the nongenuine installation of Office, restart the computer twice, then using the genuine CDs provided by Dell, do a fresh installation of Office.  Or, you can try to change the installed Product Key by following the steps in this MS KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895456
    Monday, September 14, 2009 2:41 PM
  • Dan,

There's no such directory on my CD, nor is there a setup.ini anywhere on the disk!!

Andrew
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Hello apacuk,

My apologies, after I posted that I realized that the location I asked you to look at, which works for Office 2003, may not work or be the same location for Office 2007.  Unfortunately, at the moment I do not have an Office 2007 disc handy to check it out.

The setup.ini file (or its Office 2007 equivalent) usually has identifying information in it that IDs what verison/edition of Office is burned onto that Disc.  I was going to show you that, although the packaging, labeling, and the hologram all indicate retail materials for Office 2007 Professional, the actual contents of the disc are Office 2007 Pro Plus contents ("bits").  This is the typical modus operandi for sophisticated software pirates that have access to production equipment as sophisticated as that used by Microsoft's disc manufacturing contractors, and it is also used to make very good counterfeits of Windows CDs/DVDs, too.

The MS KB article we were going to use for reference is this one:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928516/

The GUID is in a setup file on the CD/DVD and is just copied to the registry as an identifer.

This extract is from the bottom of the mgadiag report you posted in your thread:
    Product GUID="{90120000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>108</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>8C217B13407DD86</Val><Hash>P0/a0HVTyP0QqEFfkwmFMNYWy9k=</Hash><Pid>89409-707-2892545-65734</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product>

Using the legend in the MS KB, we can see that your GUID 9012000-0011 means:
    9=Release Version=RTM. This is the first shipped version (the initial release).
    0=Release type=Volume license
    12=Major version=12 (Office 2007 is the 12th version of Office)
    000=Minor version=000
    0011=Product ID=Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007
    Monday, September 14, 2009 4:26 PM
  • Dan,

Thanks - it would be useful to know one way or the other.  I noticed that the printed product key label has the letters FPP on it - which I think means retail?

When I scanned the CD I did notice a Pro Plus directory, (or similar), with a setup.xlm (or maybe it was config.xlm or similar) file, but all the lines in it which seemed to refer to Pro Plus were remarked out.

What determine the type of install - is it some check digits in the product key, or what's burnt onto the CD?

If it is a fake, then somewhere out there is a very very sophisticated operation which can hologram CDs, fake CoAs and all the security elements, and print high quality manuals and instruction booklets.

Andrew
    Monday, September 14, 2009 4:47 PM

• If it is a fake, then somewhere out there is a very very sophisticated operation which can hologram CDs, fake CoAs and all the security elements, and print high quality manuals and instruction booklets.

Yes, fakes can range from photocopy quality all the way up to master level forgery. 

The best advice I can give is to only buy your software (Microsoft or anyone elses) from a long standing retailer that you trust.

Here is some information about Volume License Keys and why we know your software is Non-Genuine:

It all starts when someone (usually a large organization of some sort) decides they need a large number of Office licenses (I believe 100 licenses is the minimum). They go to an Authorized Microsoft Retailer and sign (and pay for) a Volume License Agreement for the specified number of licenses.  The Volume License Agreement would also specifiy that the Licenses are re-sellable. They are then give a single Volume License Key to use to install the specified number of Office or XP licenses. (note VLK Keys do not come in fancy packaging. They are usually provided either on the Volume License invoice or thru Microsoft's Volume Licensing site after entering the Volume License agreement number and some other information)

Since the Licenses are non-resellable, the organization can't go on ebay and sell a bunch of Office or XP software with the VLK key included nor can they install Occice or XP on a computer (using the VLK key) and sell it to someone.

When a VLK key is found to be leaked, stolen lost, so on, the organization will contact Microsoft and ask us to Block that key.  Microsoft may also see a key being leaked out on the internet and go back to the owner of the key and ask if we can block it for them (and then, most likely, issue the organization a new VLK key).

The rule when dealing with a VLK key is:

If you (or the organization you belong to) does not have a Volume License Agreement with Microsoft and your Microsoft software is using a Volume License Key, it's Non-Genuine

Contact the person or company that sold you the Non-Genuine software and demand the Genuine Microsoft Software that you paid for.  Or at the very least, a refund.  They are the ones that did this to you, not Microsoft.

I hope that helps,
    Darin MS 
    Monday, September 14, 2009 8:13 PM
  • Darin,

This is what's so frustrating.  It seems I therefore have a VLK key printed on a Microsoft security market retail product key label inside retail packaging.  How did this VL product key get onto a secure MS label?  I can mail you a photo if it helps.

Rgds,
    Andrew
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:28 AM
  • OK. I'll take this issue up with the guy who repaired my machine about 2 years ago. It sounds like he may have tried to reinstall the software without telling me and not used the disk.

At keast I've still got the proper CD.

I wonder how many others are going to find this happens to them!
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:23 AM