Says I'm not an Admin??? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed LOC one some PC's at home. All is well except on one system where LOC insists I am not an Admin and makes me jump through hoops to allows programs to talk through the interweb. I am definatley in the Admin group locally and it will allow me to add apps manually but what a pain! I dont want to log off and back on every time I have to add something nor do I want to search forever to find the exe for every apps (like Live Messenger) to allow it through.
    Any help with what might be up here and how to address it would be appreciated.
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:22 PM

Answers

• I don't think this is a One Care firewall issue. On the troublesome computer are you using Vista? Have you turned UAC off? If it is Vista and you have turned UAC off does turning it back on resolve the issue?
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 2:13 PM

All replies

• I don't think this is a One Care firewall issue. On the troublesome computer are you using Vista? Have you turned UAC off? If it is Vista and you have turned UAC off does turning it back on resolve the issue?
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 2:13 PM
  • Having UAC on is a requirement? I'll check that but am almost certain I have it turned off. In the meantime, is there a way to disable LOC as i might want to an re-enable when i want that extra degree of safety?
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 5:43 PM
  • In Vista you need elevated privileges to perform an action that could affect computer security such as changing firewall settings. You can disable the One Care firewall and malware scanning but you will see constant warnings to turn them back on.
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Having UAC on is a requirement? I'll check that but am almost certain I have it turned off. In the meantime, is there a way to disable LOC as i might want to an re-enable when i want that extra degree of safety?

OneCare does not require you to have UAC on.
    Check the Firewall settings to make sure that you have not checked the option to always prompt. If everything is blocked it is also possible that you have other security software remaining on that PC that is conflicting with the OneCare firewall.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, May 4, 2009 1:05 AM