firewall not working RRS feed

• Question

• I am not a savvy computer person and I am very upset about my live onecare firewall.  Not only does it say i have no firewal, but it also says I have no virus protection.  I come to this site and you all use big term and ideas and it all sounds good...except when I try to follow your seemingly simple instructions....it does not work. For one thing, I thought I was signed on as administrator since this is my computer at home....but the computer says no and you all give no instructions as to how to do it...I am not a satisfied customer as I have unsuccessfully looked for phone number and my time is as valuable as yours.....

Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:19 AM

Answers

• What is telling you that you have no firewall or virus protection? Is the OneCare icon in the System Tray of your PC green or is it red? Is the warning coming from OneCare or the Windows Security Center, which would be a red shield instead of a oval/circle with a "1" inside it.

If the warning is coming from OneCare, and *both* the firewall and virus protection are off, I don't believe that running the utlities is the way to go, I think a reinstall of OneCare would be in order once we sorted out what might be conflicting with the program and causing it to not run.

If the warning is coming from the Security Center, but the OneCare icon is actually green, with a good status, the fix is more convoluted, but you are actually protected.

If you have downloaded the firewall repair tool and saved it to your desktop, to run it on Vista, you must use the right mouse button and click the downloaded/saved file and select "Run as administrator" from the popup menu that appears.

In any event, I believe that you best bet is to contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste a link to the post to which you are replying. I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Thursday, May 1, 2008 12:54 PM