none
Network performance extremely poor. Possibly due to storage-pool. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HWS server running on a Asus X38 mainboard, quad, 2GB and a Gigabit PCI-e card. 3 x 1TB SATA-disks.

I have noticed that my network transfer speed is very diffrent from time to time. Max speed ca 60MB/s and min speed ca 1,5MB/s.

Now... I have tested with several files, and this is where it gets strange... I can try to copy 2 different files on 2GB size from the same share and get 1,5MB/s on one file and 60MB/s on the other.

The files is both located in the Video-share for example...

I'm suspecting that this has to do with where the file is physically located. (Read: what disk the file is located on)

Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Ideas?

Greetings from
    Petter

T-Petter
    Monday, February 2, 2009 1:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Petter,
    if a backup or cleanup is running or if the duplication kicks in, this might delay the transfer especially for larger files. Are the target shares also duplicated folders? Is the slowdown happening more around each full hour?
    There can also be other reasons, based on network/storage driver or controller, but those usually produce a reproduceable slow down at every try.
    Also the virus scanner on the client or on the server could play a role.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, February 2, 2009 2:47 PM
  • Personally I think your are running into the physical limitations of your hardware / network. I wouldn't be surprised if 60 MB/s is around the max sustained transfer rate from your WHS to your client (or vice versa).

So if one file is transfered at 60 MB/s the other one has to "wait". After the first file has finished copying the copy speed of the second file probably increases. 
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:21 PM
  • I agree that around 60MB/s is about as much as you can expect from this hardware, but the problem is'nt that "limit"

The problem is that some files get transfered at 60MB/s and some at 1,5 - 3MB/s.  NOT simultaneously that is...

I.e. :
    \\Videos\Movie1.avi = Speed: 60-70MB
    \\Videos\Movie2.avi = Speed: 1,5-3 MB

I find this strange... I have seen some other reports of this happening, but no conclusive explanation or solution.

Ideas?

T-Petter
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:14 AM
  • OK, I misunderstood your first post. Sorry for that. 

I agree this is a strange difference. To find the cause you should preferably run some tests with an isolated netwrok setup,  no systems other then your WHS, your router or switch and only single client connected to rule out interference from other network traffic (collisions). Also best disconnect your network from the internet during testing, especially if you're using torrents, RSS feeds and so on.

Is the issue 100% reproducible, so is one specific file always transfering at high speed and another always at low speed? If yes try and move one or more of the "slow"  files to another location (client) and then back to the server.

If not 100% reproducible I would expect one of the causes Olaf suggests such as a temporary slowdown every hour on the hour (when WHS duplicates new files) or when a client is backed up. It's also possible a specific NIC sometimes slows down to a lower speed. This type of issue is often a driver or NIC settings issue.

Are the transfer speeds constant, or do they vary a lot during transfer?
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 8:43 AM
  • Will do some testing... my experience this far is that it varies in time, and files... but the transferspeed is stable... If it starts on 60MB/s it keeps around that speed...  If it starts on 3MB/s it keeps around that speed;)

T-Petter
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 11:37 AM
  • Tor-P said:

Will do some testing... my experience this far is that it varies in time, and files... but the transferspeed is stable... If it starts on 60MB/s it keeps around that speed...  If it starts on 3MB/s it keeps around that speed;)

T-Petter

One other thought:  is your server up-to-date?  If you go to the Settings button, Resources tab, what are the version numbers shown?  There were issues with speed transfers quite a while ago (before Power Pack 1).
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Are these files from different machines?  My gaming pc with a gigabit lan and jumbo frames settings goes from 30-60meg while my laptop with slow integrated card can't get much more then 5 meg.  From your description it doesn't sound like it though.
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 1:26 AM