Validation of Windows 2003 Enterprise Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,  I'm working at a customer site and having problems running Windows Update because of the WGA.   The license key appears to be valid, and is displayed on the side of the server.   Without having to purchase additioanl software, or making major changes to the servers software how can I get this key to be validated, so that I can do Windows Update, and have the customer do them.

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0723.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Unsupported OS
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-DPXTT-Y8GHG-7YYQY
    Windows Product Key Hash: FxLy5YpS7Axr6h4HiNH6Ey3wd/Y=
    Windows Product ID: 69713-640-0592892-45631
    Windows Product ID Type: 0
    Windows License Type: Unknown
    Windows OS version: 5.2.3790.2.00020112.0.0.000
    ID: 3cca84c8-3cdf-4246-a1d1-368b060af4a2
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.532.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x800b0100
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x800b0100

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 111 Unsupported OS
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3175-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\dpcdll.dll
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\pidgen.dll

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>3cca84c8-3cdf-4246-a1d1-368b060af4a2</UGUID><Version>1.5.0723.1</Version><OS>5.2.3790.2.00020112.0.0.000</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-7YYQY</PKey><PID>69713-640-0592892-45631</PID><PIDType>0</PIDType><SID/><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>PowerEdge 700              </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A02</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040803******.******+***</Date></BIOS><HWID>C3043AC701840073</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>1</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>111</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 12:42 PM

Answers

• Michael:

The copy of Windows Server 2003 is a very specific copy that is identified by our partner team (Windows Update) to be non-genuine. I would suggest having your customer have the IT administrator contact our Licensing department if they believe they are the owners of this copy of Windows Server 2003. You can contact us through the MS Corporate Premier support program that is available through the Microsoft Account Manager (the MSFT Personelle who sold the copy of Windows Server 2003 Volume).

-phil

Friday, January 12, 2007 5:54 PM

All replies

• MichaelCronin,

There are a few anomalies surrounding this situation that to me indicate the possibility of some kind of tampering or nongenuine software:

1.  Server 2003 Enterprise Edition loaded on a pissant Dell PowerEdge 700.  (I can imagine some reasons for doing this, but many more reason for not doing this.)

2.  Three mismatched files, two of which relate to the edition of the product and are commonly tampered with.

3.  The mgadiag utility reporting this as an Unsupported OS.  That may be entirely true, as I have not yet had the opportunity to run the mgadiag on an Enterprise Server, but AFAIK all editions of Server 2003 are supported by Validation so should be supported by the utility.  A Genuine Microsoft person like Phil Liu would of course be able to say for sure.

4.  The PID is showing a middle value of 640, which is typical of Volume Licensing software, yet you are saying that the computer has a COA on it, which is not typical of Volume Licensing software.  If the Ent Ed were an Upgrade License then that would make sense.

Can you tell us whether the COA has "Dell" on it, and can you tell exactly how the COA descibes the OS?

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 3:02 PM
  • Michael:

What is the message you are seeing when you go to Windows Update? We normally do not validate Windows 2003 PC's (they are bypassed usually) - however, Windows Update has a special engine which does validate Win 2003 server machines.

-phil

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 8:37 PM
  • These are all great questions, and I wish I knew the answer to them.  The software was loaded by a company that was supporting this customer before my business took over.  There was no transfer of knowledge when we took over this contract.   I am currently in talks with the customer as to where they acquired this server and how they've managed to use the license withou doing any Windows Updates since the server was first installed.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 9:14 PM
  • This copy of Windows did not pass genuine validation

[0x80080203]

You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. The Windows product key installed on this computer is not genuine.

Details
    Wednesday, January 10, 2007 9:15 PM
  • Michael:

The copy of Windows Server 2003 is a very specific copy that is identified by our partner team (Windows Update) to be non-genuine. I would suggest having your customer have the IT administrator contact our Licensing department if they believe they are the owners of this copy of Windows Server 2003. You can contact us through the MS Corporate Premier support program that is available through the Microsoft Account Manager (the MSFT Personelle who sold the copy of Windows Server 2003 Volume).

-phil

Friday, January 12, 2007 5:54 PM