none
After adding more storage to WHS, client cannot use newly available space? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I searched and did not see any relevant answers to my particular query.

After adding new drives to the existing WHS installation, my client PC will error out when trying to copy files over to the shared folders, saying that "there is not enough storage available".  It appears that it is referring to the original size of the WHS "array" before adding the newer hard drives.  I guess i need to find a way to "refresh" the info on the client as to the new capacity?  I have rebooted both machines, right clicked "refresh" on the shared folders.   Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 1:37 AM

Answers

• There are a couple of possibilities:
    • Is your server fully updated? The easiest way to ensure this is to simply run updates through the WHS console until there are none left.
    • If you're trying to copy files to a share that has duplication enabled, there has to be enough room on two separate drives for the files you're trying to copy, otherwise you might see an error (more likely you'd get a network health alert because WHS couldn't duplicate the files).
    • You have an actual problem with your server. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 9, 2009 1:41 AM
  • rock99rock said:

Hi FlyingDutchBird,

I had both physically added the drive to the motherboard, and within the server Console software as well.  Every time i need to move data to the WHS, i have to do it from WHS via shared folders, i cannot move the Data to the WHS Shared folders from the client machine as it only sees a couple GB free, as opposed to the 1.6TB that are available.  Thank you though.

Please double check your software versions. It sounds as though you are not up to date. You should see the following if you log into the Windows Home Server Console and then go settings>resources:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0

Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.24

Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24

Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0

Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

If these are not the versions you are running, please run automatic updates until you are current.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:11 PM

All replies

• There are a couple of possibilities:
    • Is your server fully updated? The easiest way to ensure this is to simply run updates through the WHS console until there are none left.
    • If you're trying to copy files to a share that has duplication enabled, there has to be enough room on two separate drives for the files you're trying to copy, otherwise you might see an error (more likely you'd get a network health alert because WHS couldn't duplicate the files).
    • You have an actual problem with your server. :)

Friday, January 9, 2009 1:41 AM
  • Unfortunately, both OS's are completely up to date, and duplication is not enabled on the folder being copied to (regardless the 1.5TB free storage is more than sufficient over 3 drives.  The only Network health message is that my firewall is turned off, (using other methods). 

I am however able to share the drive from the client pc, and make the copies from within WHS over the network.  So although a workaround, its not a fix :)  Thank you for your suggestions Ken.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:00 AM
  • Hmm. If you've been working a lot in a Remote Desktop session, you need to be aware that you should always access your server through the shares, never through the file system on D: directly. There's a link on the Administrator's desktop on your server to the shares, placed there for just that purpose (I assume :) ) by Microsoft.Copying directly to D:\Shares\etc. may bypass Drive Extender in some circumstances.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 1:40 PM
  • Hi,

As it wasn't clear to me from your post whether by 'added' you meant physically slotting the drive in the server or if that also included adding the drive in at the software level in the console, I thought I'd check with you whether you had done the latter? You were probably already aware you need to add the drive in WHS console's Server Storage tab too, so may be a wild goose chase, but just in case...

Regards,
    Karin
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Hi FlyingDutchBird,

I had both physically added the drive to the motherboard, and within the server Console software as well.  Every time i need to move data to the WHS, i have to do it from WHS via shared folders, i cannot move the Data to the WHS Shared folders from the client machine as it only sees a couple GB free, as opposed to the 1.6TB that are available.  Thank you though.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:50 PM
  • rock99rock said:

Hi FlyingDutchBird,

Please double check your software versions. It sounds as though you are not up to date. You should see the following if you log into the Windows Home Server Console and then go settings>resources:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0

Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.24

Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24

Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0

Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

If these are not the versions you are running, please run automatic updates until you are current.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:11 PM