none
Web Application Error reporting RRS feed

• Question

• Web Error Reporting. This is the way the developer gets error messages from failing web applications already in production. A while ago we used to be able to display custom web application errors on the browser screen, but with current security requirements in my organization we must display only a generic error message such as “AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED” and use a utility to retrieve the error messages from either the system log or from an error reporting system that captures errors within the web application code. Some of these error reporting systems also email the developer or program manager when an error occurs in one of the production web apps.   They often provide the error message, the error line number and dumps of variables. Does anyone know if there is a commercial application that provides this functionality?
    • Moved by Amanda Zhu Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:28 AM
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 1:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For this scenario, I suggest that you’d better to achieve that by yourself. You could handle the errors in the Application_Error method.

More information, please refer to:

# ASP.NET Error Handling

http://www.asp.net/web-forms/tutorials/aspnet-45/getting-started-with-aspnet-45-web-forms/aspnet-error-handling

As far as I know, there isn’t that tool in the VS, maybe there is the third-party tool to achieve that, however it is not supported here.

On the other hand, for this issue, you’d better to post it to the ASP.NET forum for efficient response.

Thanks

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, Visual Studio products can support web application development. During the development, when we compile/run the web application, VS will report it to Error List window or Build Output window if there are some compile/running errors.

Please see: Error List Window

Output Window

If you want to report errors on browser screen when operating the web app,  it is out of support range of VS General Question forum which mainly discusses the usage issue of Visual Studio IDE such as WPF & SL designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System and Visual Studio Editor. I suggest consulting your issue on ASP.NET forum: http://forums.asp.net/  for better solution and support.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Edited by Amanda Zhu Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:35 AM edit
    • Proposed as answer by Amanda Zhu Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Monday, June 23, 2014 1:40 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by john.m.graham Monday, June 23, 2014 10:54 AM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:34 AM
  • Hi,

For this scenario, I suggest that you’d better to achieve that by yourself. You could handle the errors in the Application_Error method.

More information, please refer to:

# ASP.NET Error Handling

http://www.asp.net/web-forms/tutorials/aspnet-45/getting-started-with-aspnet-45-web-forms/aspnet-error-handling

As far as I know, there isn’t that tool in the VS, maybe there is the third-party tool to achieve that, however it is not supported here.

On the other hand, for this issue, you’d better to post it to the ASP.NET forum for efficient response.

Thanks

Best Regards

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:05 AM
  • Hi John,

As Starain said, this issue is more related to ASP.NET, we recommend you to consult on ASP.NET forum for better support. And I will move this thread to Off-topic.

Thanks,

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:28 AM