Win 7 64 bit restore problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have one pc that got Malware regarding the messages about the computer being infected and if you give money it will be fixed.  I have seen this numerous times at work and I have used Malwarebytes many times and only had a real problem once so I did not fear this.  It turns out that Malwarebytes seems to have fixed the pop up problem but not non of the desktop or menu shortcuts work and WHS is reporting various services not running.  Since I have had such good luck with Malwarebytes where I work I did not think a backup restore was needed until I discovered these other problems.  I have been running WHS 2011 for about two weeks so I booted the pc with the restore CD that came with the system and after trying twice it simply will not boot with this on the infected machine.  The problem is with a Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit pc and all my others are Win 7 32 bit Pro and I tested one of them with the boot CD and it worked fine.  I read of problems with 64 bit restore with WHS 1 but I thought this was fixed in WHS 2011.  Is there some trick to booting from this on a 64 bit machine.  Is my best option restoring the laptop from the original backup disks to the original state and then trying the WHS restore.  Can this be done and how would I get WHS to recognize that I am using the same computer that was already on the system.  I have a history of WHS always thinking I am using a totally different computer.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:43 AM

All replies

• I have had no problem at all restoring to a 64bit W7 machine so it's not a fundamental problem. Restoring your laptop to its original state from the backup disks should have no affect as you still would not be able to boot with the WHS2011 restore disk (what's on the hDD has no impact on bootng from the optical disk).

When you say ".. it will simply not boot", what do you mean by this? Is the BIOS set up to boot from your optical drive before HDD? Can you get into the boot menu at startup and tell it to boot from the optical disk?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:54 PM
  • It won't boot completely from the restore CD.  It gives a software error code which I do not have on me right now and then reboots and tries again.  This was the first time I had tired this new CD so I tested it on another machine running Win 7 32 and it worked fine.  Last evening at home I Googled the error and did not find anything that seemed to relate to WHS.  This makes me think somehow the Malware interfeared with a program file needed for this restore.  This is why I wondered if I could use the restore CDs I originally created when this laptop was new and then somehow do a WHS client restore from there. 
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Phil

I can't see how that can be as you should be able to boot from the restore CD with a blank HDD in the PC you are trying to restore.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:17 PM
  • I agree but that is the way it is which is why this is new to me and I just wondered if this related to Win 7 64 since it did work for me on a Win 7 32 bit pc.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:37 PM
  • I just wanted to say that I was able to get my Win 7 64 client restored from another computer that is running Win 7 32 by doing what I learned on this site.

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2011/04/13/windows-home-server-2011-client-restore-wizard-video-edition/

I guessed it was possible to do this from another computer but I could not figure out how.  Since my job somewhat involves restoring computer I had one of these adapters on hand and it worked great.  It took about an hour.  Unfortunately I am currently not able to test the restore boot CD because I have misplaced my WHS case but luckily made a copy of the install DVD and have it at work and learned how to get the restore without the CD from the site above.  If would appreciate it is someone else who has a Win 7 64 disk would do me a favor and boot from that CD just to verify for me that it works or not for future reference when I locate my case.  I guess my kids moved it somewhere because I just had it two days ago.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:35 AM