Key check on MS site RRS feed

• Question

•  A while back I found somewhere in the MS site where I could check my product key. I have been trying to find it again with little success. Going to the 'genuine " page doesn't help. Can any one help (The win 7 blocked key issue) The 'stickie' is of no use.

Regards ........... Mike B

Friday, August 5, 2011 9:55 AM

Answers

•   I've been working in Windows Genuine Advantage for around 5 years now and I have never seen a (publicly accessible) Microsoft Product key checking tool. Besides, it would be a very bad idea to have one since it would give pirates and other ne'er-do-wells way too much information in attempting to bypassing our anti-piracy efforts.

Please follow Noel's directions so we can better understand and diagnose your issue.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Friday, August 5, 2011 10:50 PM

All replies

• "The Blakey" wrote in message news:e1f624dc-4e2c-4aeb-bfcd-f45753f909e4...

A while back I found somewhere in the MS site where I could check my product key. I have been trying to find it again with little success. Going to the 'genuine " page doesn't help. Can any one help (The win 7 blocked key issue) The 'stickie' is of no use.

Regards ........... Mike B

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
     - IN YOUR OWN THREAD, please

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, August 5, 2011 10:36 AM
  •   I've been working in Windows Genuine Advantage for around 5 years now and I have never seen a (publicly accessible) Microsoft Product key checking tool. Besides, it would be a very bad idea to have one since it would give pirates and other ne'er-do-wells way too much information in attempting to bypassing our anti-piracy efforts.

Please follow Noel's directions so we can better understand and diagnose your issue.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Friday, August 5, 2011 10:50 PM
  • Thanks for the replies, I put it poorly. I came a cross a specified range of product keys that were for copies never to be released for resale, apparently for research or the likes. That was what I was looking for. I'm considering a purchase but wanted to check it's validity first.

Cheers ..... Mike B

Friday, August 5, 2011 11:38 PM
  • That sound like MSDN Keys - and they ARE NOT for resale - they are part of a subscription, and are the source of much grief in this forum, as counterfeiters purchase subscriptions to MSDN, and then sell the Keys attached to counterfeited copies of Windows, making huge sums in the process, and causing lots of heartache at the same time, as people discover the licenses being Blocked at some later date, and then have to pay out a second time for a legitimate copy of Windows.

There are NO published Keys for WIndows that are legal, except for the Default Keys, which cannot be activated anyhow.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 2:26 PM