Another Server Failure RRS feed

• Question

• I built my own WHS using an ASUS serverboard and a rather tall tower case with an extra cooling fan in it.

I recently experience about the 4th failure of my WHS that required either replacing the boot drive or reinstalling WHS.

After opening the case this time, I realized that I have 4 drives in that case stacked on top of each other, and they are getting VERY hot.  I'm thinking that heat is the cause of all of my WHS failuers.

I have four Western Digital SATA 500 Gig drives in the case. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for a case that will hold 4 drives that has sufficient cooling for that many drives?  or.............  should I just remove two of the drives and use it with two 500 gig drives with some seperation between the drives for cooling.

any ideas?

Rick McMillion
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 8:03 AM

Answers

• A little research at newegg.com will reveal many choices for you. You can also benefit to some extent from other people's reviews there.
    With that said I am not a fan of stacking hard drives unless you have good cooling specifically for them. A general case fan is not enough. You need a fan installed so that it blows or draws air right across the drives. If I use multiple drives I prefer them installed vertically, side by side. There are several multi drive enclosures that fit a standard 3 bay space. They have a fan in the back. But they do need some additional space inside the case. They also make it easier to replace drives in case of failure or upgrades.

My Home Server has 2 WD 500GB drives and 3 Seagate 500 GB drives, for a total of 5 and according to their SMART they run at about 31 degrees Celsius.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 3:29 PM

All replies

• A little research at newegg.com will reveal many choices for you. You can also benefit to some extent from other people's reviews there.
    With that said I am not a fan of stacking hard drives unless you have good cooling specifically for them. A general case fan is not enough. You need a fan installed so that it blows or draws air right across the drives. If I use multiple drives I prefer them installed vertically, side by side. There are several multi drive enclosures that fit a standard 3 bay space. They have a fan in the back. But they do need some additional space inside the case. They also make it easier to replace drives in case of failure or upgrades.

My Home Server has 2 WD 500GB drives and 3 Seagate 500 GB drives, for a total of 5 and according to their SMART they run at about 31 degrees Celsius.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Hi Rick,
    my server holds 2 1 TB disks (WD Green Power models) which do not get more than 30 degree of heat.
    Since these are not that expensive any more, a swap may be recommended. Could also be, that it is only one disk, which is originally overheating and causing the other disks also to run hot. How many degree do the disks show if you install the WHS Disk Management Add-In?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:25 PM
  • Well I would recommend a hard drive rack with some fans. I use a 5-in-3 one (puts 5 drives in 3 x 5.25" slots). Despite having 5 drives so close to each other, I've never had a problem with heat. The 80mm fans suck in air around the trays.

A lot of cases provide an intake fan in front of their internal 3.5" hard drive slots for cooling as well.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 9:30 PM
  • I use the CHIEFTEC BRAVO BA-01B-B-B case for my WHS.  Can be found at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811160008

Nice big case which I don't plan to fill-up.  The six drives I do have are stacked in groups of two with a space between each group.  I would not do this unless I had the three fans right next to them pulling air across.  Using WD Green Power models also helps.
    • Edited by working1 Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:47 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:43 AM