VM settings on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently saw a site that recommended setting the sys disk (c) to 200 mb of vm and the data disk to 4000 mb. I let the system set mine. Am I wrong?
    WD
    Friday, July 3, 2009 5:43 AM

Answers

• I was looking at VM as in Virtual memory, Sorry I should have been more clear this is NOT running in a Virtual Machine
    WD

Ahhh, I was thinking the same thing as Olaf. :)

Changing the amount of virtual memory on WHS is unsupported (since it requires server desktop access).  Frankly, as long as you have enough RAM (I'd say at least 1 GB, although I prefer 2 GB) and you're only using WHS as it's designed, virtual memory isn't an issue anyway.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 12:13 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    using Windows Home Server in a Virtual machine is not a supported scenario, although it works.
    Besides that your given sizes make no sense - because the minimum size for the system drive is 65 GByte (we are long over the MBytes in context of disk sizes). Even if you mixed up the units, a 4 TB data disk for a virtual machine is "somewhat difficult" to realize with only one data disk and 4 GByte make no sense again.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, July 3, 2009 6:29 AM
  • I was looking at VM as in Virtual memory, Sorry I should have been more clear this is NOT running in a Virtual Machine
    WD
    Friday, July 3, 2009 11:32 PM
    WD

Ahhh, I was thinking the same thing as Olaf. :)

Changing the amount of virtual memory on WHS is unsupported (since it requires server desktop access).  Frankly, as long as you have enough RAM (I'd say at least 1 GB, although I prefer 2 GB) and you're only using WHS as it's designed, virtual memory isn't an issue anyway.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 12:13 AM