Exclude backup drive from tune up & virus scan RRS feed

• Question

• I have a dedicated external backup drive that I turn on and use ONLY for Windows Live OneCare backup.

If I turn the drive on before the tune up process begins OneCare scans this drive for viruses, adding over an hour to the tune-up process.  If I turn the drive on after virus scan and before backup, backup does not recognise the drive so I have to run backup manually.

Since this drive is only ever turned on for backup purposes, and by definition only backs up files that have been scanned and cleaned can the OneCare team please add a feature that allows me to exlude my backup drive from all OneCare processes except the backup?

Thanks!

Roger

Sunday, December 16, 2007 1:47 PM

Answers

• Open OneCare, click Change Settings, go to the Virus and Spyware tab and click on the Exclusions button. Use the Add Folder choice to exclude the external drive from being scanned. You can't exclude it from Defrag, but if the drive is only used for backups, it should not be fragmented and a scan by Defrag during Tune-up should proceed very quickly.

-steve

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:15 PM

All replies

• Open OneCare, click Change Settings, go to the Virus and Spyware tab and click on the Exclusions button. Use the Add Folder choice to exclude the external drive from being scanned. You can't exclude it from Defrag, but if the drive is only used for backups, it should not be fragmented and a scan by Defrag during Tune-up should proceed very quickly.

-steve

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:15 PM
  • Thanks Steve.  Great answer: certainly helps save time and frustration.  Cheers, Roger
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:37 PM
  • You're very welcome, Roger.

-steve

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:24 AM