Is there a way to separate hardware resources into two different nodes? (GPUs) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a software package that runs well with 8 cores + 1 GPU.  I'm trying to match hardware to software requirements. If I buy a physical server compute node with dual 8-core processors and get 2 GPUs in it (K20/K40) could I trick the head node into thinking that this is really two different nodes?

If it just sends two jobs to a node with 16 cores and 2 GPUs, I don't think the software has the intelligence to use GPU-A for job 1 and GPU-B for job 2. Both jobs will try to grab the first GPU in the list. I'd like to split the hardware at a lower level so that it is seen as two nodes and each GPU is dedicated to a single "node". Is there a way to do this with a VM-Ware type solution integrated as a compute node in MS HPC? Is this only available in Server 2012? I'm currently working in Server 2008 R2 HPC, but upgrades are on the horizon.

Thanks for any help.

Friday, January 17, 2014 7:35 PM

All replies

• If you want GPU as exclusive resource unit, please select Socket as Resource Type during job creation.

BR, Yizhong

Monday, January 20, 2014 2:43 AM