Whs2011 - client notebook backup RRS feed

• Question

• hi, i have an whs2011 and a notebook that i would like backup every night.

with whs client connector i have configured it to wake up notebook when backup start's but i have seen that it's only work if client is conntect to power plan (no problem with stand-by or hybernate mode); if it's in battery mode, it doesn't start.

I have modified backup event (in notebook planned task) under \Microsoft\Windows\Windows Server\Backup removing check "stop if is in battery mode"   but everytime notebook connect to whs, task is restored to default setting and loose my setting.

It's possible fix it and schedule backup task every night when i leave my notebook in hybernate mode with wifi connection and battery mode?

Regards

Paolo Bisacchi

Monday, October 24, 2011 9:22 AM

All replies

• ... It's possible fix it and schedule backup task every night when i leave my notebook in hybernate mode with wifi connection and battery mode?

This behavior is by design, and is intended to prevent a backup from draining the battery on your laptop. The scheduled task is, I believe, recreated as part of the backup sequence every night, so that's why it seems to reset. So no, you can't change this behavior.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Monday, October 24, 2011 6:18 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 11:34 AM
  • Thank's for answer Ken:

you are right, it could kill battery on laptop, but it's very "confortable" keep it on hybernate and forget to backup manually each day.

If a service can wake up during night and in 1 hour can make copy of changed file (shadow copy do it already).

I think today's laptop battery can survive until end of job without problem so week; in this way i can leave laptop on bag and forget it.

On business day if i need laptop, i charge it during work; if not, it will wakeup during night for some minute (because there isn't anything new to backup) and return to "sleep" immediately.

If someone inside whs team can read this post, i think could be a good feature to develop.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:08 AM