Off Topic:automatic Windows updates RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Hello,

My automatic windows updates is set at "OFF" is "shaded" and I cannot do anything to turn them on

I orginlally thought it was the "update manager program" but that has since been uninstalled.

I then thought Norton had blocked the the updater because they do automatic updates......I have talked to them on line for about 1 hour today and they say it's a "windows" problem. Can anyone PLEASE advise what to do ??? thank you sooo much for any help you can give.

Friday, May 2, 2008 11:35 PM

All replies

• This is from a very old support case but may help:

This issue can occur if the following two branches have been corrupted:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_WUAUSERV

We can use the following steps to restore the two branches:

1. Click Start, click Run, type: Inf and press Enter. A folder will be opened.
    2. Locate the file "au.inf" in the opened folder (you can type au to locate this file), right click on the file and choose "Install".

Note: The file extension ".inf" may be hidden; we may only see the file named "au".

3. The setup process will try to restore the registry branches automatically. You may not receive any notification. However, if some files cannot be located automatically, we will be prompted to select the installation source. Please click browse, and go to this location:

C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
    If this folder is not available, please choose the folder C:\Windows\System32.

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

If you encounter any trouble with the above steps, or the Windows Update issue persists, please refer to the next suggestion.

Suggestion 2: Re-register the Windows Update engine files.
    =============================================
    This issue can also occur if the Windows Update engine files have not been registered. I suggest we use the following steps to re-register these files:

1. Click Start, click Run, type: cmd and press Enter.
    2. Run the following commands:

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    Regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    Regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    Regsvr32 wups.dll
    Regsvr32 wuweb.dll
    Regsvr32 qmgr.dll
    Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

After running each command, we will receive a message stating "Succeeded".

Saturday, May 3, 2008 1:07 AM
  • Hi, I tried both those suggestions, neither one did the trick - the "windows automatic update" button is still shaded....

Monday, May 5, 2008 8:30 PM
  • Then I suggest the Microsoft Update Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wupd#tab0

Monday, May 5, 2008 11:05 PM
  • Thank you again for your quick response....I went to the link you suggested......I have no idea what to do now....I really am just a newby at this - I just know that one day I had the "automatic updates" and then the next I did not...

I can live without this as I could go to the update page manually but rather wish it worked properly - is there some place I can attach a snap of what it looks like or do you know when I say that the update thingy is "shaded"??? thanks

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 11:56 AM