Live Mesh won't install/uninstall - workaround

General discussion

•   

SUMMARY:

Live Mesh is not installed or is installed partially and the customer sees a dialogue stating that Live Mesh cannot install because it is already installed.  Customer is not able to uninstall Live Mesh.

INTRODUCTION:

This experience is typically caused by an interruption in the normal installation process leaving the Registry in a state where certain entries are not removed or added properly.

MORE INFORMATION:

The Windows Live Mesh installer, LiveMesh.exe, can be used with switches from a command line to affect a repair of the installed components.  Sometimes this repair step will need to precede the uninstall step as the uninstall will be prevented by a bad install.

Using LiveMesh.exe switches

• Download the LiveMesh.exe installer
      • Navigate to http://www.mesh.com/ and log in using your Live ID
      • Click on the Devices tab
      • Select Add Device
      • Select your platform choice then click Install
      • Pick the option to Save (remember this location)

• If you are installing on Vista, you will need to run these switches from an Elevated Command Prompt.
      • Click on Start
      • Select All Programs
      • Select Accessories
      • Right-Click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator

•  Installing on XP
      • Click on Start
      • Select All Programs
      • Select Accessories
      • Click on Command Prompt

• Once you are in your Command Window
      • Navigate to the location that you saved the LiveMesh.exe installer
      • LiveMesh.exe /repair        (assumes the product was already installed or needs to be repaired)

• LiveMesh.exe /uninstall        (removes the product)

• LiveMesh.exe        (no switch, installs the product)

Manually removing the Registry entries may be needed if using the switches does not work, sometimes a combination of both methods will succeed.

Manually editing the Registry

• Click Start
    • Click Run
    • Type Regedit and hit Enter (if you are on Vista you will need to agree to a UAC prompt)
    • In the Registry Editor remove the following Registry entries:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products\9D1E4BCD781B45B479E1418784C5A935

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\<YOURSID>\Products\9D1E4BCD781B45B479E1418784C5A935

NOTE:  <YOURSID> value will be unique to you.

You should now be able to install/uninstall the product.  Please let us know if this doesn't work for anyone.

Tim

Program Manager | Live Mesh
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:11 PM

All replies

• None of those registry entries exist for me, it just fails with the same message.

Installer encountered errors.
    Please verify your network settings and attempt to reinstall.

Not sure what is up.

This is the only error log I could find, it did not actually install.

[removed log output]
    Friday, July 11, 2008 10:03 PM
  • This is actually a different error than the one I was initially referring to with this sticky.  For the error you mention, I would try changing your proxy configuration as it appears we are having a problem connecting from your machine to the Windows Update server that we use to deliver our initial install.

Tim
    Monday, July 14, 2008 9:11 PM
  • I am getting the similar errors to Professor Asian while installing on a 64-bit machine. I have tried changing proxy settings and turning off my antivirus, but neither seem to help.
    [removed log output]
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:51 PM
  • Same here - exact message text is (i'd attach a picture, but I can't)

Title Bar - Live Mesh
    Installer encoiuntered errors
    Please verify your network settings and attempt to reinstall

Get more help
         BUTTON OK

My environment is

Firewall : Online Armor
    AntiVirus : Avira AntiVir Premium.
    AntiSpyware : Ad-Aware 2008 Plus Adwatch, Spybot Teatimer, Windows Defender

There are the steps I too, at each step I retry the install
    Took out AntiVir
    Took out Online Armor 2
    Took out Ad-Aware 2008 Adwatch
    Took out Spybot
    Took out Defender
    Took out all other application except IE

I run a Black Viper barebones + MS Update and Indexing services
    There are no proxies

I can find no relevant logs

I am not entirely sure what I need to install, I can get at my MeshSpace and  copy files, to and fro - what else is there to do

Friday, August 01, 2008 1:38 AM
  • I tried everything to get this work but I get the same error i.e Cannot run using elevated account. I cannot uninstall/repair/install. I ran with the switches. I removed those keys from the registry. None of these fixed it. The live mesh service client application( i guess called notifier) wont start at all.
    OS: Vista Home Premium, Running as administrator. UAC disabled.

I ran the live mesh logs collector. I see that I can't attach to this forum. How  can I send them?

Srinivas
    • Edited by Sri Nivas Thursday, August 07, 2008 2:13 AM Updated with more details
    Thursday, August 07, 2008 2:12 AM
  • Ok, I got it working. Get the Service Pack 1 for your OS. Downside, it took 1hr to get all this done. But things look better now.
    Srinivas
    Thursday, August 07, 2008 4:51 AM
  • *UPDATE:  I have since uninstalled the program while logged in as the local admin to see if completely removing it would help. Now, though, I can no longer install AT ALL.

I'm having a similar problem.  It doesn't install (same issue as some others on here) on my laptop... HOWEVER... if I do a "Run As" and run as the local administrator, it will install and work properly.  The user account I'm trying it with (where it fails) is a Domain Admin in my network.  I've verified that both the user and Domain Admins are in the local Administrator group on this PC... Windows XP3 running on a MacBook Pro (Can't wait for the Mac client to come out!).

Oh... and here's the log file:[removed]
    Monday, August 11, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Do you have any anti-virus running?

Tim
    Monday, August 11, 2008 10:57 PM
  • I have AVG antivirus free (latest build and updates), and I disabled it a well as Windows Firewall and tried to install, but no luck.  I seem to be having the same problem as everybody else.  I have successfully installed on 2 separate computers and am trying a 3rd, 1 with Windows XP SP3 (work), another with Windows Vista Business SP1 x64 (home), and now trying to get it on my laptop running Windows Vista Business SP1 x32 (Toshiba Portege tablet).  FWIW, I've tried installing both with elevated and non-elevated priveleges.  Only idea I have is I'm running IE8 b1, and I've also tried install in IE7 emulation mode to mitigate that factor if possible.  Here is what my log says when I tried installing today:

[removed log output]

Any help greatly appreciated!

-Nate

• Edited by hibern8 Monday, August 11, 2008 11:51 PM updated to indicate &quot;successful&quot; install on other machines
    • Edited by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Friday, June 12, 2009 1:04 PM removed log output
    Monday, August 11, 2008 11:49 PM
  • No, I don't have any anti-virus software installed on that PC whatsoever (insert joke about using a Mac here)
    Monday, August 11, 2008 11:55 PM
  • Nate,

This looks to me to be a script engine problem.  This appears to be different than tha problem reported by Manorexia.

For your problem I would try the following from an elevated command prompt:

Regsvr32 %windir%\system32\vbscript.dll

Regsvr32 %windir%\system32\scrrun.dll

Regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wshom.ocx

(On XP only:  Locate the file %windir%\inf\wsh.inf (inf is a hidden folder), right click, select "Install”)

If that does not work then try this also:

Check the Registry HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script\ or HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\ and look for the \Enabled key; if it’s there and set for 0, modify it to 1.  Try the install after that.

We have a bug on this issue to remove the script engine dependency.

Please let me know if this fixes things for you!

Thanks,

Tim

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:46 PM
  • Are you running an XP install on the Mac hardware or running the XP image under some sort of an emulation?

Tim
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:47 PM
  • On my Vista SP1 machine, I could not install LiveMesh. I ran these commands, then the install succeeded.

The Registry key \Enabled in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\ was already set to 1.

Tom Rausch

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:20 AM
  • I have tried both... I use Xp via boot camp, but also have Parallels loading the boot camp partition as a VM.  FWIW, the one time I was able to install (running as the local admin) was via the boot camp (Natively running XP).
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 1:47 PM
  • Great news Tom!

Manorexia, the reason that I asked is that the error codes we are seeing in your log file refer to a file not found condition where a resource that is being requested or referred to in a string is not able to be reached properly.  Sometimes this can happen because anti-virus on the machine traps the payload of our installer and quarantines it...sometimes because of some other non standard element of the file system being used...as in the case with an emulator.

So are you installed and working now under your local admin?

Tim
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:09 PM
  • Tim:
       No... it *had* successfully installed, but during my troubleshooting, I uninstalled it, and was never able to get it reinstalled.  That one time, however, I was logged in as the domain admin in Boot Camp, and installed successfully by doing a "run as..." as the local admin.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:20 PM
  • What happens if you log in as the local admin and try the install?

Tim
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:39 PM
  • It fails in exactly the same way.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:56 PM
  • I have dev looking at these log files to help me see what I have missed.

Tim
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:13 PM
  • This may be due to DNS. Refer to my recent topic on trying to install with multiple user accounts. Basically today I got it going after also suffering installation failure reported as a network issue and then it (the installer) rolls back. I changed the DNS entries in my router/modem from the ISP supplied ones to that of OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220). This so far has fixed both the installation issue (reported as a network issue) and I suspect has also helped with my former issue of Live Mesh hanging when trying to start. I don't have network traces but I suspect Live Mesh is getting hung up due to name resolution.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 11:37 AM
  • @Kudabird:
        Unfortunately, no... I've tried this using my network at work and my network at home (where I use OpenDNS), so this is most likely something different.  I have a theory that trying to install Mesh while in Parallels screws up your install for both Parallels and Boot Camp somehow... the only way to really test this theory out is to reformat my XP partition, though, and it's just not worth that kind of hassle.  If my theory was the other way around, I could test all day in Parallels (restoring the image constantly)... but since a Mac client is being worked on, I'm starting to think I just need to be patient.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 12:33 PM
  • it ended up pointing me in the right direction.  There wasn't the "enabled" key you referred to, but there was one labeled winSAFER, which I considered a candidate and disabled.  Installed like a charm.  I did try registering the dll's you mentioned prior to doing that, but the 2nd one bombed with an error message I didn't capture - tried twice.  First and 3rd worked fine.

Thanks for the help, this saved me hours of pushing against a wall!

Best - Nate

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:31 PM
  • @hibern8:
        Hey, thanks!  That did it for me!  Went and did all those steps again, added yours (while in Boot Camp, not Parallels), and it installed!  Once installed, it works while in Parallels.  Sweet!  (Still can't wait for the Mac client, though.)

Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:45 AM
  • Thanks,
    Running the 3 registry commands (below) worked, was trying to install for few days now, Do you know why is this required.

sumith
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:43 PM
  • Hello, 
    I am trying to uninstall LiveMesh, and so far the solutions offered in this thread failed. 
    Where I can find the log. 
    wlcrasvc.exe.0.rdp.log - this is what I found under live mesh directory.
    Is this the right one ?

Any help would be appreciated. 

Monday, September 15, 2008 2:21 PM
  • This is because the cscript engine on your machine was not registered.  This can happen in a variety of ways.  We are removing the dependency on the script engine very soon because of all of the problems this has caused.

Thanks for Meshing!

Tim

Monday, September 15, 2008 3:46 PM
  • Thorien,

Can you see Live Mesh in your Add/Remove programs list?  Can you more specifically describe the failure you are seeing please?

Feel free to email me at LMPREV@Microsoft.com.

Thanks,

Tim

Monday, September 15, 2008 3:48 PM
  • Hi Tim, 
    I have sent you email including a log file. 
    Let me know if there is a work around, or I should just wait the next live mesh update. 
    Regards, 
    Chris

Monday, September 15, 2008 8:03 PM
  • Tim,
    Have you made any progress on the log file, I have sent it to you.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:28 PM
  • We are still investigating.  Our investigation has shown that this is likely similar to some other rare failures we have seen regarding unintall failure.  This is in the hand of development now and we are waiting on them for the next steps.  We should be coming back to you soon with some questions around troubleshooting this issue if you are open to the idea still.

Thanks,

Tim
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:38 PM
  • Tim, great page to help with the issue of uninstall.

I had to delete the folder in the regestry in order to reinstall the product. I think you should put such important steps in the link of "help" that pop-ups in Mesh Error message.

I only found this page by searching the web for the solution.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 4:46 PM
  • So, I was trying to fix the daily update message and have completely hosed the application.  I've tried all the steps in this thread to reinstall mesh and it fails with the dialog box telling me to verify my network settings.  This was a working installation prior to me trying to repair mesh.  I wish now I had just lived with the update message.

The registry keys mentioned in this thread don't exist on my system.  I've run the three regsvr32 commands.

This is on a Vista Premium SP1 system.  How do I get mesh reinstalled back on this system?  If there are logs I can't find them.

TIA for any help!

EDIT:

I was able to get mesh installed after turning off UAC, rebooting then running the live mesh installation file.

• Edited by altidude3 Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:11 AM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:30 AM
  • Hi Tim,

I'm having some Live Mesh installation problems.  I've been using Live Mesh since the Tech Preview with no problems, and love it!  However, when it updated to Beta, everything stopped working, but only on 1 of the 3 machines I use (the other 2 updated with no problems).

I've tried complete uninstall, reinstalls, etc., multiple times.  I also removed the reg keys you suggested.  Turned off virus scan, firewall, etc.  I'm sure it should work, since it worked previously on this computer during the tech preview.

When I run the installer, I end up with the message:

The installer encountered errors.
    [80070057] The parameter is incorrect.

Can you help me?

Thanks.
    Thursday, November 06, 2008 8:36 PM
  • This is more of a tip, as I solved my own problems, but here's a quick fix that might help some people with installation issues:

I'm on a macbook running XP Pro SP2 with boot camp.

When I tried to install Live Mesh, the program would quickly say "installed" then would immediatly uninstall itself and provide me with error number 80072F78.

None of the registry fixes would help, and I have no firewall or anti-virus installed.

After much searching, it sounded like there was something wrong with my network settings, and I couldn't access the windows servers.  I opened "Internet Options" (available in the "tools" menu in internet explorer" and saw that under the connections tab "Automatically detect settings" was unchecked.  I checked it, tried to reinstall, and it worked like a charm.

Hope this helps someone.

Friday, November 07, 2008 2:04 AM
  • I've followed the recommended steps to fix the errors I'm getting to no avail. How do I collect logs and who can I send them to so that this issue can get fixed?
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:02 PM
  • DeVaris Brown said:

I've followed the recommended steps to fix the errors I'm getting to no avail. How do I collect logs and who can I send them to so that this issue can get fixed?

Hi,

Please see the Announcements section of the forums for instructions on collecting logs and submitting bugs.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 11:31 PM
  • I have two machines on the same network running through the same router:

MacBook running 10.5.5
    PC running XP Pro SP 3

The MacBook installed first time and effortlessly.  My PC runs through the install and then uninstalls with the following error:

I've tried using the switches such as /force and /repair, neither of which work.  Interestingly, if I call /? or /help from the command line I get a similar error on the pop-up box.  After all the "SETUP MODES" text I get this

/repair   Uninstall and install the product
    [80070667] Invalid command line argument.  Consult the Windows Installler SDK for detailed commane line help.

Is this related?  Why can't I install on my Windows PC?

Thanks in advance

GN

GN
    Monday, November 24, 2008 11:49 PM
  • GingerNinja said:

I have two machines on the same network running through the same router:

MacBook running 10.5.5
    PC running XP Pro SP 3

The MacBook installed first time and effortlessly.  My PC runs through the install and then uninstalls with the following error:

I've tried using the switches such as /force and /repair, neither of which work.  Interestingly, if I call /? or /help from the command line I get a similar error on the pop-up box.  After all the "SETUP MODES" text I get this

/repair   Uninstall and install the product
    [80070667] Invalid command line argument.  Consult the Windows Installler SDK for detailed commane line help.

Is this related?  Why can't I install on my Windows PC?

Thanks in advance

GN

GN

Hi GN,

If you have one or the other of the Live Mesh Servicing logs and could send it to lmprev@microsoft.com, we can take a look at what's going on.  To find the Servicing log:

(Instructions from Announcement on collecting logs):

If you run into an error during the installation of the Live Mesh softwarea Servicing.log will be created.  To get this log:

1.  Click Start
    2.  If you are using Vista, type Servicing* in the search bar. If you are using XP, click Search and then type Servicing*
    3.  In the search results you will see Servicing.log or Servicing(0000).log depending on where the installation failed. 

To go directly to the file, the Servicing log is in INSTALLDIR\Setup\Servicing.log or %temp%\Live Mesh\Servicing[0000].log if Live Mesh was uninstalled/rolled back during a failed installation.

Thanks,

Ben.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 4:30 PM
  • Ben [Live Mesh] said:

Hi GN,

If you have one or the other of the Live Mesh Servicing logs and could send it to lmprev@microsoft.com, we can take a look at what's going on.  To find the Servicing log:

To go directly to the file, the Servicing log is in INSTALLDIR\Setup\Servicing.log or %temp%\Live Mesh\Servicing[0000].log if Live Mesh was uninstalled/rolled back during a failed installation.

Thanks,

Ben.

Done - two logs there and sent to you.  Thanks.

GN
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:03 AM
  • In fact, the LiveMesh installer REFUSES to run under an elevated command prompt!  I also don't have those registry entries.  I'm not using a proxy and have not had ANY internet connection issues.  Please advise as I would REALLY like to use Live Mesh!!!!
    Friday, January 15, 2010 8:30 PM
  • In fact, the LiveMesh installer REFUSES to run under an elevated command prompt!  I also don't have those registry entries.  I'm not using a proxy and have not had ANY internet connection issues.  Please advise as I would REALLY like to use Live Mesh!!!!

Discussion on your issue is here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/aee1aca6-f465-433e-b40e-2c9c489de0a3#0d8acc5c-9913-4255-8a52-e45708cdb333

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, January 18, 2010 1:33 PM
  • When I start installation on my XP by running livemesh.exe, I see pop up saying preparing to install. Then, I see message: Uninstalling live mesh. And then it uninstalls automatically. Then message appears as 'Error occurred during installation. Class unrecognized.' What could be done? Error code displayed is 80040154.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:32 AM
  • This link isn't specific to Live Mesh, but suggests that the error you encountered is due to a permissions issue in the Registry:
    http://support.software602.com/kb/view.aspx?articleID=987

What actually are you doing? Are you uninstalling or installing Live Mesh? If uninstalling, why?
    What happens if you perform a normal uninstall from Control Panel / Add or remove programs?
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:39 PM
  • Thanks for help.
    I had live mesh previously installed, but I had to format my computer and reinstall windows XP due to system crash down. Now, I have removed my computer by going online live mesh so that I can make a fresh start. Now, when I try to install live mesh on my computer, it doesn't. The things mentioned above happen.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:01 AM
  • You're welcome. Well, the error seems to mean that something is wrong with Windows. Did you reinstall after a complete format of the drive or reinstall Windows onto itself? What security software are you running? Is it possible that the PC is infected by malware?
    -steve
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:45 PM
  • I did reinstall after complete format of logical drive. And since I'm using Net Protector Antivirous, which is considered as powerful herein India, there is no way I can have malware. Still, if there are any chances of infection, please help me removing them. I'm almost handicapped due to this installation problem.

I've got following log files in the folder 'Live Mesh' under the 'Temp' folder on my PC. I think they mean a lot for developers.

Servicing[0000].log
    Servicing[0001].log
    ServicingMSI[0000].log
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:13 PM
  • I did reinstall after complete format of logical drive. And since I'm using Net Protector Antivirous, which is considered as powerful herein India, there is no way I can have malware. Still, if there are any chances of infection, please help me removing them. I'm almost handicapped due to this installation problem.

I've got following log files in the folder 'Live Mesh' under the 'Temp' folder on my PC. I think they mean a lot for developers.

Servicing[0000].log
    Servicing[0001].log
    ServicingMSI[0000].log
    The idea that it might be an infection was an afterthought, since the issue seems more to be an issue with the OS itself.

After the reinstall, have you applied all Windows updates for the OS?
    Did you update the WU Agent - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/1335008b-4f69-44d5-8544-2dc25771295e?

You can submit those logs with a bug report: 

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you may not receive a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

-steve

Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Hello, Steve.
    Thank you very much for help. By some or the other way, I've finally managed to install it.
    I don't know exact workaround as I simultaneously tried two things.
    First I thought, my computer may not be accepted because there was already another computer with the same name. (Actually, same computer but before and after format. I think such devices are treated as tow different ones. I have same experience when I hard reset my windows mobile and then try to sync with my pc which is already having same device in sync relationship.) So, I changed my PC's name and demanded restart. I didn't reboot even till now!
    Second thing I did was obviously, update as suggested by you.
    Then I tried installation, and it did!
    Again thank you,
    -Akshay.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:42 AM
  • If the PC already existed in the Mesh and you formatted, probably the best thing to do would be to make sure that the "old" Pc was removed from the Mesh at www.mesh.com - changing the name was probably the solution. Glad to read that it is resolved.
    -steve
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 1:27 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I've been trying to install this on a restricted XP (SP3).
    The computer is part of an large AD with quite some restrictions applied but the user-account is a Local Admin.
    The installer starts out correct and after a couple of seconds, it reverts and "uninstall"s again, bailing out with the errorcode 80004002 (No such interface supported).
    I've tried to read the logs but I cannot find what's not working.

So, 2 questions:

1: Is it possible to install this on 1 machine and move it with an USB-stick?

2: Is it possible to get hold of a complete list of req´s? I just cant figure out what "Interface" is missing....

Thanks in advance,
       Karl

Monday, February 08, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Hello, Karl.
    No, you cannot install to a USB stick and move it. It makes changes at the registry level to identify a machine to the Mesh.

Have you looked at this http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/1335008b-4f69-44d5-8544-2dc25771295e?

Is this PC able to access Windows Update?
    -steve
    Monday, February 08, 2010 8:07 PM
  • This is actually a different error than the one I was initially referring to with this sticky.  For the error you mention, I would try changing your proxy configuration as it appears we are having a problem connecting from your machine to the Windows Update server that we use to deliver our initial install.

Tim

I am having same problem. But i am at work and i am sure that connection to Windows Update server is not possible - we have System Center Configuration Manager 2007.

During instalation i get error_80004002 http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2025/01error80004002duringin.jpg

During LiveMesh.exe /repair i get error_80070645  http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4847/02error80070645afterrep.jpg

During LiveMesh.exe /uninstall i get error_80070652 http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7962/03error80070652afteruni.jpg

I tried to fix Windows Registry but there is no:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products\9D1E4BCD781B45B479E1418784C5A935

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\<YOURSID>\Products\9D1E4BCD781B45B479E1418784C5A935

any idea?

Friday, March 26, 2010 12:33 PM
  • martin_msdn,

You need to have access to Windows Update and Live Mesh will not function behind an authenticated proxy server.

The first error can mean that the Windows Update components have not been updated or are improperly registered - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956708

I don't know whtat the second error means, but it may mean that there is nothing to repair or that there are permissions issues due to Policy restrictions.

The last error means that the install is already in progress, so I'm not sure why you are seeing that.

-steve

Friday, March 26, 2010 1:29 PM
  • Running Windows Update and letting it install necessary updates (for Windows Update), solved the issue for me. Thanks.

Dan

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 10:57 PM
  • Running Windows Update and letting it install necessary updates (for Windows Update), solved the issue for me. Thanks.

Dan

Thanks for sharing your experience - that's often the simple fix for install issues.

-steve

Thursday, April 08, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Interestingly, when I run LiveMesh.exe under an elevated prompt, I get this error:

---------------------------
    Live Mesh v0.9.4014.7
    Product does not support running under an elevated account.
    The class is not configured to support Elevated activation.

<a href="http://g.live.com/7WCEN-US/1015??HL=80080017">Get more help</a> (Error: 80080017)
    OK

But when I run it under a non-elevated promt, I get this:

Live Mesh v0.9.4014.7
    Installer encountered errors.
    Access is denied.

<a href="http://g.live.com/7WCEN-US/1015??HL=80070005">Get more help</a> (Error: 80070005)
    OK

"You should now be able to install/uninstall the product." -- after nuking the reg keys, it is no longer in "Programs and Features" of course, but I suppose the "install/uninstall the product" refers to using LiveMesh.exe on the command line?    Since that doesn't seem to be an option, what's needed?

Thursday, April 15, 2010 10:17 PM
  • Hello all,

I still getting error messages :(

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/4100/unrecognizedresponse.jpg

Friday, April 16, 2010 8:39 AM
  • Hello all,

I still getting error messages :(

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/4100/unrecognizedresponse.jpg

Does Windows Update work for you? That is a Windows Update error. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

Did you do this? http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/1335008b-4f69-44d5-8544-2dc25771295e

What OS, what connection method? No proxy server in the way, is there?

-steve

Friday, April 16, 2010 4:28 PM
  • Hello.

I'm on a new desktop, fresh group up install of W7 Enterprise x64. I'm getting the same error as everyone else, 80072F78 .

I ran all Windows Updates and updated the installer. Again this is a fresh install of windows so i've never had LM installed in the past.

I'm using Security Essentials and windows firewall, all basic stuff that I've had on my other computers where I've used LM. Disabling them doesn't help. Using LM on two other computers here with similar setup. No clue why I can't install on this box. Any ideas would be appreciate, I really enjoy the service.

Thanks,
    Dave

Monday, May 17, 2010 7:15 PM
  • Dave, it is something with connectivity as it is a Windows Update error - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

It can be a server side issue, it can be an antivirus real time checking issue (but should not be caused by MSE or the Windows Firewall), but it is usually due to a proxy server in place between you and Live Mesh.

-steve

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:58 PM
  • Steve,

I don't get it... I don't have any third party firewall, antivirus or acellorator programs. There is no proxy server in place... All of my windows updates are successful. Still no good! Any other ideas? contact me if you want to RDP and check it out.

Thanks,

Dave

Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:10 AM
  • Steve,

I don't get it... I don't have any third party firewall, antivirus or acellorator programs. There is no proxy server in place... All of my windows updates are successful. Still no good! Any other ideas? contact me if you want to RDP and check it out.

Thanks,

Dave

Hello, Dave, and sorry for the delayed reply.

If resetting your Internet Explorer settings to default doesn't help, then I can only suggest that you submit a bug report, though it may not yield a response. 

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you may not receive a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

-steve

Monday, May 24, 2010 3:03 PM
  • Hi all,

Looked around quite a bit in the forums to find this exact problem, but didn't come across it.

I've been trying to uninstall Live Mesh for quite some time in order to upgrade to the newest version. Well, I believe I have uninstalled it...but not according to the Live Essentials installer. I've done the standard uninstall, and when I attempt to install the new LE, I get

Another user installed Live Mesh Beta on this computer. it needs to be uninstalled before you can install Windows Live Essentials.

I'm the only user on the computer. There are other (test) profiles on it, but I haven't used them since my first Mesh install. I've deleted their profiles, cleaned everything I can find in both the file system (including the hidden AppData) and the registry for anything that has "mesh" in it, to no avail. I've rebooted of course. This is a W7 x64 system.

Appreciate any insight - I could really use Sync / mesh / whatever between multiple PC for conferences and the like.

(And I hope the "account lockout in a domain" bug has been fixed!)

Thanks,

Sean

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:15 PM
  • If the steps in the first post of this thread don't help, Sean, I'm afraid that you're looking at a format of the machine and a fresh OS installation.

-steve

Thursday, September 23, 2010 11:56 AM
  • I am having this problem while applying the updates to windows essentials 2011.

I think there is an error in the LiveMesh delete script. It may not delete the registry entries.

Using the scripts does not work. I will be changing the registry in the near future. I am loath to do this in case I make a mistake. A good idea is to create a restore point first.

Monday, October 25, 2010 9:48 AM
  • I am having this problem while applying the updates to windows essentials 2011.

I think there is an error in the LiveMesh delete script. It may not delete the registry entries.

Using the scripts does not work. I will be changing the registry in the near future. I am loath to do this in case I make a mistake. A good idea is to create a restore point first.

I'll note that I had the problem with the upgrade on one of my machines - Live Mesh beta would not uninstall, so I had to delete the keys after stopping the service.

-steve

Monday, October 25, 2010 7:31 PM