Bulk Change RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I've been asked the following, Is it possible to bulk change the Contract Manager on around 750 accounts in one go if provided with an excel spreadsheet of Org records?

Regards,

John

Monday, March 29, 2010 8:42 AM

Answers

• Hi John

As Neil and Andriy suggested (and in my experience), this is the best tool to use:

OrbitOne CRMUpdater (free download available at http://mscrmbulkupdatetool.codeplex.com/)

Using this tool, you can update records in any CRM view within a grid view or export to excell, do a find and replace (because it produces the GUIDs for you) and re-import without worrying about data integrity. Give it a try, you will not be sorry.

Regards

xFranco

• Marked as answer by John McCallum Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:34 AM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 12:13 PM
  • The ownerids are found in the ownerbase table. So you'll need to export the list of users first.

I've not used the OrbitOne MSCRM Bulk Update Tool to update record owners before, so I would test it with a single record first if I were you.

Neil

ownerbase? May be systemuserbase?

Truth is opened the prepared mind

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Monday, March 29, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Sorry John, when I suggested using the Actions > Edit feature (aka Bulk Edit) I didn't realise that your Contract Manager field was a renamed Owner field. Bulk Edit doesn't usually allow you to edit lookup fields (you can fix this by exporting the entity, altering the XML of the bulkedit attribute and reimporting the entity but this is an unsupported change).

The standard Reassign feature shoudl work for you. For example, search for all active accounts where Owner equals XYZ then use Reassign to change the owner to ABC. Or search for all active accounts where Type equals Customer and Country equals United Kingdom and then use Reassign to change the owner to the new UK contract manager. It'll take about 20-30 seconds to reassign 250 records.

Monday, March 29, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Hi John,

Highlight all records you wanna reassign and use "assign" button with green arrow on the top bar menu within main account area.
    Or use Advanced Find to put all required records together. Here you can find  "assign" button on the top bar menu as well.

Akvelon Inc - Microsoft CRM customization services
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hi, John.

Check this tool .

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Monday, March 29, 2010 8:59 AM
  • Hi John, Contract Manager isn't a standard account field so how you update it will depend a little on whether it's a lookup field, a text field or picklist field.

You might want to consider using the standard Bulk Edit feature. Let's say you wanted to update all the accounts where the Contract Manager is 'ABC' and change it to 'XYZ', then you could create an Advanced Find view and use Bulk Edit (Actions > Edit). You can edit 250 accounts at one time with this method.

Or you might prefer to use the data enrichment feature that is kind of hidden: http://weblogs.asp.net/ranko/archive/2009/07/30/updating-records-with-ms-dynamic-crm-4-0-import-wizard.aspx

Or if you might have this type of requirement again in the future, you're better off with a third party tool such as MSCRMImport or Prosoft's EBAX.

Neil

Monday, March 29, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Hi Thanks for your help again, ive manage to connect to the crm server and can see all records

one question the field i need update is the ownerid, but it shows systemuser,BEAF431c if you get what i mean, how do i find out which user it actually relates to, so that i can do a search in excel and complete a find a replace for user i need to swap.

Monday, March 29, 2010 10:12 AM
  • Hi John, I definitely do not recommend directly changing the ownerid field.

I suggest you use one of the methods or tools I described above, or the one suggested by Andriy. Changing the ownerid directly is an unsupported change and will definitely have bad consequences for your system (ownerid affects business units which affects security, and all of this and more could be screwed if you don't use the user interface or API!).

Neil

Monday, March 29, 2010 11:48 AM
  • Hi John

As Neil and Andriy suggested (and in my experience), this is the best tool to use:

OrbitOne CRMUpdater (free download available at http://mscrmbulkupdatetool.codeplex.com/)

Using this tool, you can update records in any CRM view within a grid view or export to excell, do a find and replace (because it produces the GUIDs for you) and re-import without worrying about data integrity. Give it a try, you will not be sorry.

Regards

xFranco

Monday, March 29, 2010 12:13 PM
  • Hi All,

That's the tool ive used and ive exported it to excel but the ownerid is not showing as the user ie (John) it shows as the guid ie (systemuser,BEAF431c ) so i was wondering how you can find out what the guid is for a particular user so that i can do the find and replace in excel and then upload the csv using the orbitone tool 

i of course will also take a snapshot of the server b4 i do this so i have something to roll back to.

Monday, March 29, 2010 12:56 PM
  • The ownerids are found in the ownerbase table. So you'll need to export the list of users first.

I've not used the OrbitOne MSCRM Bulk Update Tool to update record owners before, so I would test it with a single record first if I were you.

Neil

Monday, March 29, 2010 1:04 PM

Neil

ownerbase? May be systemuserbase?

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Monday, March 29, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Hi All,

Ive tried the Orbit tool and this doesnt actually allow the change to the ownerid field but will allow changes to fields like addess1_city if that makes sense,

ive also tried the actions edit option and that doesnt allow me to change the ownerid either.

your help has been most helpful so far and thank you for your replys

John

Monday, March 29, 2010 1:57 PM
  • Sorry John, when I suggested using the Actions > Edit feature (aka Bulk Edit) I didn't realise that your Contract Manager field was a renamed Owner field. Bulk Edit doesn't usually allow you to edit lookup fields (you can fix this by exporting the entity, altering the XML of the bulkedit attribute and reimporting the entity but this is an unsupported change).

The standard Reassign feature shoudl work for you. For example, search for all active accounts where Owner equals XYZ then use Reassign to change the owner to ABC. Or search for all active accounts where Type equals Customer and Country equals United Kingdom and then use Reassign to change the owner to the new UK contract manager. It'll take about 20-30 seconds to reassign 250 records.

Monday, March 29, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Hi Neil,

Thanks for your help so far, how do u reassign multiple records, i cant seem to find an option for this

regards,

John

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:31 AM
  • Hi John,

Highlight all records you wanna reassign and use "assign" button with green arrow on the top bar menu within main account area.
    Or use Advanced Find to put all required records together. Here you can find  "assign" button on the top bar menu as well.

Akvelon Inc - Microsoft CRM customization services
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:00 AM
  • Hi all Thanks you for your help i have now managed to complete this

Regards

John

• Unmarked as answer by John McCallum Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:34 AM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:34 AM