More Validation Issues. Help please :) RRS feed

• Question

• Validation issues, yet again with vista. To start its telling me that i have a licensing error and that i must go online to validate my genuine vista license or something, and it says either go online to keep system stable or close and when i close it im back at my log in screen.
     Now i am not a computer expert but i will tell you what i can in hopes you can tell me what you can and itll work ;D. Now i've been reading through these forums and it says alot about using cmd.exe running as administrator and running Net start slsvc, I've done this and this is what it says to me when i enter the command 

A system error has occured

System error 54273 has occured

the system cannot find message text for number 0xd401 in the message file for BASE
    Anyway, I have no idea what that means i've just been trying to do what ive been seeing works. But anyway, I can acesss all my files and video games by using the command %windir%\system32 and then going through the computer from the internet tab (becuase the only thing im allowed to use is the internet at first), I cant see the start menu, the desktop or anything, i can only alt tab through programs and do alll the stuff i normally could (which kinda doesnt make sense to me. ) Anyway, anything you can do to help would be appreciated, if you have questions ask and ill get on answering as soon as possible. :) Thanks!
    -Cj
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:38 AM

Answers

• Alright now I got to the part where i run the diagnostics tool and when i clicked Copy
    This is what it said as an error
    Failed to create output files, hr = 0x80070002. Please contact support.

I didn't want to go any further since i somewhat couldnt without copying and posting a new thread and stuff, so what do i do now?
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, November 6, 2008 11:22 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:48 PM
  • Tagguh,

Please create a support request at the following link below: 
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 . Unfortunately I can not offer assistance. As previously mentioned in this thread all users to initially run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (MGADT). 

Thank you Tagguh.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, November 6, 2008 11:24 PM
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 11:22 PM

All replies

• Hello Tagguh,

Thank you for visiting the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) program forum. In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (MGADT).  This will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Please provide a brief synopsis describing your customer scenario, including any dialogue or error messages, or codes. Error codes can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage web-pages when an error is encountered.

By clicking the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (MGADT).  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows Vista.

1. What edition/version of Windows Vista is titled?

·         Home Basic

·         Home Premium 

·         Business

·         Ultimate

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/product.aspx?pID=b5c507e5-3522-40de-a2f4-97d82b39cc47&cID=ea710cad-37b0-4975-bcd6-abfee19961df&method=oem&displaylang=en

NOTE: The data collected with the MGADT does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you for your participation here on the Genuine Advantage forums. We look forward to working with you.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:03 PM
  • Alright now I got to the part where i run the diagnostics tool and when i clicked Copy
    This is what it said as an error
    Failed to create output files, hr = 0x80070002. Please contact support.

I didn't want to go any further since i somewhat couldnt without copying and posting a new thread and stuff, so what do i do now?
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, November 6, 2008 11:22 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:48 PM
  • Tagguh,

For clarification.... After running the MGA Diagnostic Tool were you not able to get the physical results? In order to provide you with support I really need the physical output from your diagnostic test.  Next did you receive the support telephone number based on the output you provided in the previous post?  Please post back in this thread (do not start any new threads) and let us know where you currently stand.  

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager 

Stephen Holm
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 11:21 PM
  • Yeah I got the results it's just that when i attempted to copy the results, it gave me that error i posted before, and i dont think i have a telephone number that i was given, it didnt say one in the error or anywhere on the diagnostic report stuff, it just said that error about contacting support.
    Is there a number im supposed to call ?
    • Edited by tagguh Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:04 AM
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:02 AM
  • Tagguh,

We really need your results. Quick question is your computer built by a major manufacturer, local business or home built system? 

Please Follow These Steps if Your Computer Was Built BY A Major Manaufacturer

Please review the following Knowledge Base (KB) article and refer to the resolution portion of the webpage:

KB931573 – You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which Windows Vista was already activated by a Volume License or OEM installation

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;931573 

If the above does not resolve your issue, please follow the steps below. If the first set of steps does not resolve, move on to the next set of steps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #1

1) Open Internet Explorer

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #2

1) Open Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

8) Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Reboot Twice

11) Windows Vista may require you to enter a Product Key [use the Certificate of Authenticity (COA)] SLP Product Key found on the sticker on the side or bottom of your computer and activate. Use the Activate by Phone method outlined below.

From the Desktop:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

Also you may reference the following site for various Telephone Activation Centers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Thank you for visiting the Genuine Advantage forum.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 11:34 PM
  • Tagguh,

Please follow the below guidance if you purchased and installed Vista yourself or if a local business built your system.

From the Desktop:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

Also you may reference the following site for various Telephone Activation Centers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Thank you for visiting the Genuine Advantage forum.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 11:35 PM
  • Alright so I feel like you have helped alot and i'm thankful except that i'm not sure whats not working
    So the first thing you suggested, I went to site to download the update and it told me i can't update windows becuase my validation is not genuine and that i have to have genuine validation to receive updates for windows vista. it says go to the site to prove validation, i did, back to sqaure 1 i have no validation according to genuine microsoft software , to quote it says
    "

This copy of Windows did not pass genuine validation.

Either an unauthorized change was made to your Windows license or a software program installed on this computer is not currently compatible with Windows Vista."
    Anyway, i continued on to try the next set of steps to do which involved typing cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc and it said "Microsoft VBScript runtime error:  Permission Denied "
    So i dont know what that means. a little shedding of light on that issue.
    Next i tried the next steps net stop slsvc, it told me the licensing program is not started, so i typed the windir line and it did that then i tried to rename tokens.dat tokens.bar and it told me it could not find that file specified.
    Typing net start slsvc got me to this error on the cmd.exe saying exactly this starting from
    the Software Licensing service is starting...
    "The Software Licensing service could not be started.

A system Error has occured

System Error 54273 has occured.

the system cannot find message text for message number 0xd401 in the message file for BASE."

I got my computer from Dell, to answer that, Is there any suggestions or new ways to work this out you would suggest, call dell perhaps? I wasn't sure though becuase it's microsoft and not dell but meh i have no idea.
    more feedback soon i hope, thanks for your time :)

Friday, October 31, 2008 12:22 AM
  • Er..bump.
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 1:38 PM
  • Tagguh,

Please create a support request at the following link below: 
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 . Unfortunately I can not offer assistance. As previously mentioned in this thread all users to initially run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (MGADT). 

Thank you Tagguh.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, November 6, 2008 11:24 PM
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 11:22 PM