Connector software will not install RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - new install from scratch - IIS and shares all work fine internally an externally - DNS works fine internally for WHS - However, connector software will not complete its install - there are not any internal firewalls on any of the clients, and as mentioned all clients can hits shares, ping, and explore WHS with out issue. Have tried to install Connector software several times (from WHS software directory source folder) - each time as I input the Admin account password as asked, it errors out and says "can not continue at this time" - driving me nuts - hoping anyone may have any other ideas - also, under client pc, connector software is not showing in the start menu programs groups, so wondering if shortcuts not added - in program files dir there is a Windwos Media Connect 2 - but not a Windows Home Server folder - not sure if Windows Home Direct is even applicable as it is dated months ago in it access date. Thank you all for all of your help !!!!
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 2:51 AM

All replies

• also some more info - client pc - winxp sp3 - can use browser to access webgui into WHS - can RDP into WHS - all without any issue - ran WHS toolkit v1 Connector troubleshooter and get The Windows Home Server Connector Troubleshooter tests are now complete. Potential issues are displayed below. It is important to follow the recommendations to resolve potential Windows Home Server issues. The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server Get help with this issue - WHICH MAKES NO SENSE AS CLIENT IS BEING INSTALLED FROM SERVER PROVIDED CLIENT SOFTWARE Server internal website does not respond over IP address Get help with this issue - WHICH MAKES NO SENSE AS IIS IS RUNNING FINE AND I CAN LOG IN WITHOUT ISSUE USING THE CLIENT PC ACCOUNT (WHICH IS THE SAME USER / PASSWORD AS ACCOUNT SETUP ON WHS Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site Get help with this issue - WHICH MAKES NO SENSE AS IIS IS RUNNING FINE AND I CAN LOG IN WITHOUT ISSUE USING THE CLIENT PC ACCOUNT (WHICH IS THE SAME USER / PASSWORD AS ACCOUNT SETUP ON WHS Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (password hint page) Get help with this issue - WHICH MAKES NO SENSE AS IIS IS RUNNING FINE AND I CAN LOG IN WITHOUT ISSUE USING THE CLIENT PC ACCOUNT (WHICH IS THE SAME USER / PASSWORD AS ACCOUNT SETUP ON WHS Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (simple page) Get help with this issue - WHICH MAKES NO SENSE AS IIS IS RUNNING FINE AND I CAN LOG IN WITHOUT ISSUE USING THE CLIENT PC ACCOUNT (WHICH IS THE SAME USER / PASSWORD AS ACCOUNT SETUP ON WHS Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (ASPX page) Get help with this issue - WHICH MAKES NO SENSE AS IIS IS RUNNING FINE AND I CAN LOG IN WITHOUT ISSUE USING THE CLIENT PC ACCOUNT (WHICH IS THE SAME USER / PASSWORD AS ACCOUNT SETUP ON WHS Cannot connect to the server internal Web site over IP address (password hint page) Get help with this issue - WHICH MAKES NO SENSE AS IIS IS RUNNING FINE AND I CAN LOG IN WITHOUT ISSUE USING THE CLIENT PC ACCOUNT (WHICH IS THE SAME USER / PASSWORD AS ACCOUNT SETUP ON WHS No DHCP server, or DHCP server is not reachable Get help with this issue - THE NETOWRK IS STATIC SO I AM UNSURE WHY THIS IS EVEN NECESSARY Cannot connect to the server internal Web site over IP address (simple page) Get help with this issue - WHICH MAKES NO SENSE AS IIS IS RUNNING FINE AND I CAN LOG IN WITHOUT ISSUE USING THE CLIENT PC ACCOUNT (WHICH IS THE SAME USER / PASSWORD AS ACCOUNT SETUP ON WHS Cannot connect to the server internal Web site over IP address (ASPX page) - WHICH MAKES NO SENSE AS IIS IS RUNNING FINE AND I CAN LOG IN WITHOUT ISSUE USING THE CLIENT PC ACCOUNT (WHICH IS THE SAME USER / PASSWORD AS ACCOUNT SETUP ON WHS
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 3:04 AM
  • Hi,
    your text desert makes also no sense without paragraphs.

Check the event viewer on the server for error messages or warnings around the time of failed attempts. (Usually DCOM related errors point to some misconfiguration of IIS permissions on the server, causing what you experience.)

The connector installation relies on IIS - did you install any applications or Add-Ins on your server?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:59 AM
  • Hi Olaf - thank you for your help and reply - the above text was copied from the troubleshooter tool - the caps were my reply above to the troubleshooter In the event viewer - under APPLICATION, I found a number of errors all similar items as this - The entry in the hash map cannot be updated. Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog Details: Unspecified error (0x80004005) These look to simply be the file system or index looking for moved files, etc - the SOURCE is shown to be WINDOWS SEARCH SERVICE Under SYSTEM - I have a number of printer related warwnings / few errors - all printer related from a terminal session it appears - Driver Adobe PDF Converter required for printer Adobe PDF is unknown. Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. I also found several warnings of this under SYSTEM The redirector failed to determine the connection type. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. I read the article, am not seeing an issue, the client and WHS are on the same switch only several feet from each other, same subnet, etc Under HOME SERVER - there are no errors or warnings Under Internet Explorer, MS Office Diagnostics, MS Office Sessions, Win Power Shell - there are no erros or warnings - under all but MS Office Sessions, there are not even any items. I am at a loss and can not find any info pertaining to any IIS issue. The Web start servies were and are all OK in the viewer - can you think of any dependency services that may impact this ? The Server is an out of the box config - it has not been adjusted, etc, but if there's any to confirm I could double check those. I will do so now. Thank you very much Olaf for any and all of your help and ideas !!! Rob
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:08 AM
  • Olaf I am sorry it is again merging all of my text above - I had it neatly laid out and seperated, but the board is compacting it. Above is the event viewer, it's section, and any additional note per event. Thank you
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:09 AM
  • Olaf - below is from the WHS toolkit 1.0 plugin into WHS - it shows no errors in IIS or anywhere - Thank you for all your help !!!!! Rob Checking if Remote Desktop Connection is enabled on your home server...... PASS: Remote Desktop connection is enabled on your Home Server. --------------------------------------------------------- Checking if Remote Desktop Connection is allowed by Group Policy...... PASS: Remote Desktop connection is allowed by Group Policy. --------------------------------------------------------- Checking Windows Firewall settings on your Home Server...... PASS: Windows Firewall is enabled on your Home Server. --------------------------------------------------------- Checking if Exception is allowed by Windows Firewall...... PASS: Exception is allowed by Windows Firewall. --------------------------------------------------------- Checking if Remote Desktop proxy port is allowed by Windows Firewall...... PASS: Remote Desktop proxy port is allowed --------------------------------------------------------- Checking if Remote Desktop is allowed by Windows Firewall...... PASS: Remote Desktop is allowed by Windows Firewall. --------------------------------------------------------- Checking Website: "RemoteAccess" Checking path: "c:\inetpub\remote" PASS: Website RemoteAccess files are ok. --------------------------------------------------------- Checking Website: "PublicLanding" Checking path: "c:\inetpub\home" PASS: Website PublicLanding files are ok. --------------------------------------------------------- Checking Website: "Welcome" Checking path: "c:\inetpub\upnp" PASS: Website Welcome files are ok. --------------------------------------------------------- PASS: End checking Windows Home Server website files...... --------------------------------------------------------- Checking IIS service status... PASS: IIS service status: Running --------------------------------------------------------- Checking Windows Home Server App Pool Status...... PASS: Windows Home Server AppPool is on. --------------------------------------------------------- Checking default IIS site on your Windows Home Server...... PASS: Default website is Windows Home Server Site ---------------------------------------------------------
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:50 AM
  • I am sorry it merged it all again - I wish I could upload screenshots to make it easier
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:50 AM
  • Hi - new install from scratch - IIS and shares all work fine internally an externally - DNS works fine internally for WHS - However, connector software will not complete its install - there are not any internal firewalls on any of the clients, and as mentioned all clients can hits shares, ping, and explore WHS with out issue. Have tried to install Connector software several times (from WHS software directory source folder) - each time as I input the Admin account password as asked, it errors out and says "can not continue at this time" - driving me nuts - hoping anyone may have any other ideas - also, under client pc, connector software is not showing in the start menu programs groups, so wondering if shortcuts not added - in program files dir there is a Windwos Media Connect 2 - but not a Windows Home Server folder - not sure if Windows Home Direct is even applicable as it is dated months ago in it access date. Thank you all for all of your help !!!!

Are you logging into the clients as an admin on each machine?  Were you able to successfully ping your server, both by name and by IP address?
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 4:05 AM
  • Well, the items in the event log are looking quite normal.
    What is that for a server - an OEM box or a self built?
    Are the system time (and the time zone) on server and clients identical?
    How are the clients connected to the server? Wired or wireless, same subnet?
    Please post the output of the command ipconfig /all on one client and on the server.

If you have still no valuable data on the machine, I would recommend to try a server reinstallation.

Btw. if copy/paste results look wierd, often a step to copy the text to notepad first and from here to the target works better. 

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:36 PM