How can I use Windows Home Server Console using IP Address instead of DNS? RRS feed

• Question

• I live on a college campus and  they do not allow any DNS records for any type of servers that are not thiers. So I have WHS setup and ready to go but I can't connect to it with the Windows Home Server Console. The funny thing is that Discovery.exe finds the server and establishes some sort of connection that it comunicates with the server. When I try to connect using the console it says "this computer cannot connect to your home server. Check...." Even the shortcut to my shared files doesn't work. I have to edit the shortcut by adding the IP Address. When I do that it works. So my question is... is there away to add the IP to the console so it could connect? By the way I use  static IP addresses for all my PC's, xbox and PS3. That the only way I can make sure they all comunicate with each other.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 11:58 PM

Answers

• I live on a college campus and  they do not allow any DNS records for any type of servers that are not thiers. So I have WHS setup and ready to go but I can't connect to it with the Windows Home Server Console. The funny thing is that Discovery.exe finds the server and establishes some sort of connection that it comunicates with the server. When I try to connect using the console it says "this computer cannot connect to your home server. Check...." Even the shortcut to my shared files doesn't work. I have to edit the shortcut by adding the IP Address. When I do that it works. So my question is... is there away to add the IP to the console so it could connect? By the way I use  static IP addresses for all my PC's, xbox and PS3. That the only way I can make sure they all comunicate with each other.
    You could try editing the HOSTS file on your client (by adding the server name and IP address of your server to the file).
    • Marked as answer by Olivom Friday, October 9, 2009 11:09 PM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 12:19 AM

All replies

You could try editing the HOSTS file on your client (by adding the server name and IP address of your server to the file).
    • Marked as answer by Olivom Friday, October 9, 2009 11:09 PM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 12:19 AM
  • You could also by a router and put your home server and clients behind the router.

Josh

Friday, October 9, 2009 1:25 AM
  • Assign OpenDNS as the dns server for your personal computer, create an account there (it's free) and create a shortcut.

How do you use a static ip in an environment where you don't control the controller? If you get a DHCP address then just assign that, you may run afoul of the network gods.

Friday, October 9, 2009 3:27 AM
  • Assign OpenDNS as the dns server for your personal computer, create an account there (it's free) and create a shortcut.

Other users have had issues when using OpenDNS and WHS in your LAN (because OpenDNS doesn't follow standard network RFCs).  I would recommend not using OpenDNS.

How do you use a static ip in an environment where you don't control the controller? If you get a DHCP address then just assign that, you may run afoul of the network gods.

Friday, October 9, 2009 6:58 PM
  • Thanks Kariaya21 that did the trick!!! Even the backup is working again!
    Friday, October 9, 2009 11:09 PM
  • Thanks Kariaya21 that did the trick!!! Even the backup is working again!
    Just note that it's only a "workaround" in the sense that if you ever change the IP address of your server, your clients will never find your server unless you modify the HOSTS file again.  In other words, don't forget you did it.  :)
    Friday, October 9, 2009 11:12 PM
  • Thanks again. I won't forget.... Even though I did forget about editing the host file. I haven't had a need to do this in years. :)

Saturday, October 10, 2009 1:57 AM
  • Other users have had issues when using OpenDNS and WHS in your LAN (because OpenDNS doesn't follow standard network RFCs).  I would recommend not using OpenDNS.

Can you elaborate?
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 9:55 PM