How to Install Zune software on WHS box RRS feed

• General discussion

• WHile searching for how to install the zune software on WHS box I found a toutorial to install on server 2K3, which also works on WHS. I have successfully Installed the software and wireless syncing is working, when I want to add music ECT I just use terminal server to jump in.

Prerequisite Installations

Windows Media Format Runtime & User Mode Driver Framework

The Windows Media Format runtime and User Mode Driver Framework are components of Windows Media Player 11 (WMP11). WMP11 installation on Windows Server 2003 is not supported, out of box.

To install Windows Media Player 11 on Windows Server 2003, follow the steps below:

1. Download wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe.
    2. Extract the self-extracting update by issuing the following command:
      • wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe /T:C:\Temp\WMP11 /C < I used 7-Zip instead of the command line.
    3. Navigate to folder containing extracted files and assign Windows XP compatibility mode to the following files:
      • wmfdist11.exe
      • umdf.exe
      • wmdbexport.exe
      • wmp11.exe
    4. Double-click and install wmfdist11.exe, umdf.exe, and wmdbexport.exe.
    5. Restart Windows.
    6. Navigate to folder containing extracted files. Double-click and install wmp11.exe.
    7. Right-click skins.inf and click Install (optional).
    8. Execute and configure Windows Media Player 11 using the on-screen wizard.

.NET Framework v2.0

The Microsoft .NET Framework v2.0 redistributable can be found in Microsoft’s Download center.

Zune software Installation

After prerequisites have been installed and verified, the Zune software can safely be installed. To install the Zune software manually, follow the steps below:

1. Download zunesetuppkg-x86.exe.
    2. Extract the self-extracting update by issuing the following command and specifying a target directory:
      • zunesetuppkg-x86.exe -x < 7-Zip again
    3. Navigate to folder containing extracted files and double-click package\Zune-x86.msi. Completion is denoted by the disappearance of the MSI installation progress window and the placement of the Zune software desktop icon.
    4. Execute Zune software.
    Credit goes to http://www.withinwindows.com/?page_id=42 
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:25 AM

All replies

• klomp,

Many thanks...this looks really good.  I want to do the same thing that you describe.  I do have one quick question about your comment "when I want to add music ECT I just use terminal server to jump in."

Can you expand what this means?  Do you have to remote desktop into your WHS, then open up the Zune software residing on your WHS system, then sync your Zune via the wireless sync option?  Or...is there a way to leave the Zune software running on the WHS and when you get home, just sync your Zune wirelessly?  I'm just confused about the "terminal server" aspect.

Thanks

vr

Mule

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:54 AM
  • Why not just use WMP11 to rip and manage music... then set the music folder to read only to help prevent corruption.... then map the folder as a drive on your host machine, point Zune to it... and sync that way.... Thats what I plan on doing...

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:32 AM
  • This works great thanks, but does anyone know a work-around to allow the 2.5 zune update?? If i could find a redistro it would be a piece of cake, but the installer won't work on the WHS.
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 1:53 AM
  • Re: Zune 2.5 software update on WHS - if you have done the above workaround and then try and install the update you'll get the 'not available for this operating system' message. I've found the 2.5 standalone package:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6136349f-2b32-4946-83b5-a09775531ef4&DisplayLang=en

Unpack it in the same manner as above and you can get the update packages without having to go through the Zune updater. I'm going to try tonight and see if I can get it to work now...
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 7:40 AM
  • Ok, so I've successfully got the Zune 2.5 software working on my Windows Home Server.

It may be a bit of a hack, but here's what I did:

1) the pre-requisite is that you've already followed klomp10's instructions and put the original Zune package on
    2) go and get the Zune 2.5 redistro from microsoft downloads. Make sure you put all these somewhere on the c drive: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6136349f-2b32-4946-83b5-a09775531ef4&DisplayLang=en
    and use something like 7zip to unpack it.
    3) go and get the Core XML Services package from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=993c0bcf-3bcf-4009-be21-27e85e1857b1&DisplayLang=en
    4) go to ZunePackage\x86\packages and you'll see the original 42,476 KB msi as the original, plus a whole bunch of multilanguage hotfixes
    5) right click windowsxp-kb915865-v11-x86-enu.exe, go to the compatability tab and set compatibility for windows xp, then ok and install it.
    6) restart your WHS
    7) install msxml6.msi
    8) set windowsxp-kb933720-v2-x86-enu.exe for xp compatibility and install
    9) launch Zune, go settings > general > about zune: if you see it come up with Version: 2.5.XXX.X then you're done!

Now here come the caveats, I tried this and it works, it is by no means the best way to do it and it will by no means work for you. If somone else can refine this procedure, please update this.

Cheers!
    Friday, May 9, 2008 3:12 PM
  •  Hi PittaOnzJ00,

I was curious if you, or anyone else for that matter, were able to simply map your WHS as a drive and have Zune point to it.  I would rather do to that than install both WMP 11 an Zune on the WHS.

Thanks,

Jean D.
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 9:38 PM
  • Yes the media files for the zune software can reside on the WHS media shares, The zune software just reacts a little slower because of the bandwidth bottleneck between the server and the client. This works well enough for me, I have a zune. My son prefers to keep his itunes folder on his local machine, but keeps a backup on the server, and the machine is backed up too of course. Having the media files on the server enable multiple users and their devices to all use the same files, unless ripped as AAC or WMA. mp3 for all!
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:34 PM