3ds models RRS feed

• Question

• hiya - so we have a .obj file that is a 3D rendering of a new telescope facility. I've done some Googling, but without much knowledge I'm not sure how to convert this into a 3ds model. Then, we'd like to be able to plop the model onto the mountaintop in the 3D earth/terrain.

Is that possible?

Adrienne Gauthier (LSST)

Saturday, July 23, 2011 4:11 AM

Answers

• Most 3d packages can export to 3ds (old 3d studio format) Obj is a newer format.

Create a reference fram by positioning your camera where you want to center the object. Create a new reference frame, and click on the "From view" button on the last page of the Wizard and that will take the Alt, Lat and lng from the view.

You also should set the radius of the reference frame on the second page of the wizard to the spherical area that will surround the model you want. You can scale it from there.

Adrienne, please feel free to send me other questions directly if you need a quicker response. I don't troll the groups as often as e-mail.

Jonathan

Saturday, July 23, 2011 6:17 PM

All replies

• Most 3d packages can export to 3ds (old 3d studio format) Obj is a newer format.

Create a reference fram by positioning your camera where you want to center the object. Create a new reference frame, and click on the "From view" button on the last page of the Wizard and that will take the Alt, Lat and lng from the view.

You also should set the radius of the reference frame on the second page of the wizard to the spherical area that will surround the model you want. You can scale it from there.

Adrienne, please feel free to send me other questions directly if you need a quicker response. I don't troll the groups as often as e-mail.

Jonathan

Saturday, July 23, 2011 6:17 PM
  • thanks Jonathan! I'm sure I'll email you next week with more questions.

Adrienne

Saturday, July 23, 2011 6:30 PM