Windows Home Server Console Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Let me start by saying I have searched through this formum and many others in an effort to resolve the issue I'm about to describe.  Although there are similar issues reported, I haven't found a solution that has worked for me.

I'm encountering two issues with Windows Home Server (I have it running on the HP MediaSmart Server):

I have four client computers running at home with various operating systems (Windows XP Professional, Windows Vista Ultimate x64, and Windows Server 2003).  All of the client computers have the Home Server Connector software installed and all of them display the status of the home server (green, yellow, etc...).  So they are connecting to the home server.  The issue is from my Windows Vista Ultimate x64 computer.  If I try to run the Windows Home Server Console I am prompted for the password.  I enter the password, it attempts to connect, then eventually comes back with this error:

"The computer cannot connect to your home server.  Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on.  If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

If I try to connect from one of my other computers, it seems to make it further.  I don't get the error above, it just displayed a blank screen once it seems to have connected.  Kind of like the remote session was successful, but it didn't launch the console application.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this?  My Home Server is configured to download all updates and install them automatically and I have double checked via the console (accessed it by remoting into the server itself) and all updates have been applied.

Thanks for any help on this.
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:40 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    I have seen similar behaviors, if the firewall on the WHS or on the client was not configured properly for the necessary communication.
    So as a first step please try to disable the firewall on the WHS and one client temporary and check, if the connection succeeds then.

It may also be helpful, to take a view into the WHS event logs, if there are errors or warnings in the same time frame as the failed connections.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    I have seen similar behaviors, if the firewall on the WHS or on the client was not configured properly for the necessary communication.
    So as a first step please try to disable the firewall on the WHS and one client temporary and check, if the connection succeeds then.

It may also be helpful, to take a view into the WHS event logs, if there are errors or warnings in the same time frame as the failed connections.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:59 PM
  • Olaf,

Thank you for the quick response.  I had already turned off the firewall on the WHS, but not on my Vista computer.  I just found that the issue is intermittant on my other computers.  I rebooted the WHS (again) and now my other clients are able to connect.  My Vista computer still cannot connect, but I am not thinking this may be related to the firewall (per your comment).  My companies group policy won't allow me to turn off the firewall so I may be out of luck, but at least I can connect from my other computers.

Thank you for your comment, I should have thought about the client firewall.  I think that may be the issue (or some other group policy setting) and I'm just going to have to live with it.

Thanks,
    Chad
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 4:03 PM