none
User acess question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I am having some serious issues with my windows home server service pack 2 and my windows xp sp3 user permission. I have the windows home server console installed on the windows xp computer that works fine it added the shared folders to my desktop all good there. I made a user on the windows server computer and i see the user folder but i cant open it it says i dont have acess and i should see my admin. How do i gain access to that folder or any others??
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:43 AM

Answers

• Hello I am having some serious issues with my windows home server service pack 2 and my windows xp sp3 user permission. I have the windows home server console installed on the windows xp computer that works fine it added the shared folders to my desktop all good there. I made a user on the windows server computer and i see the user folder but i cant open it it says i dont have acess and i should see my admin. How do i gain access to that folder or any others??
    Please see the FAQ post:  How to fix share access issues where user name and password are requested to see if it helps.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 5:00 AM

All replies

Please see the FAQ post:  How to fix share access issues where user name and password are requested to see if it helps.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 5:00 AM
  • Now that that is set it raises other question. More Permissions. Lets say I log onto my account of my shared folder from somebody else computer to access lets say a file. How can i reset the folder permission to not just allow them to access my folder? If its a matter of getting rid of my name in the folder security tab. How do i do that? and What if it was xp home and i don't have this? Also I have a computer who user name is not the same as the user name Ia* M*t* and i don't know how to get the computer to even prompt me for my log on credentials
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:15 PM
  • Now that that is set it raises other question. More Permissions. Lets say I log onto my account of my shared folder from somebody else computer to access lets say a file. How can i reset the folder permission to not just allow them to access my folder?

Log them off of the client or reboot your server.  (Frankly, it would be easier to just enable the Guest account on your server, set the permissions through that, then disable the Guest account when you're done.)

If its a matter of getting rid of my name in the folder security tab. How do i do that?

Don't change the permission settings on your server anywhere other than through the Console.

and What if it was xp home and i don't have this?

The OS is irrelevent.

Also I have a computer who user name is not the same as the user name Ia* M*t* and i don't know how to get the computer to even prompt me for my log on credentials
    It has nothing to do with the computer name.  It's strictly the user account.  If the user account you have used to logon to the client doesn't match any user account set up on the server, it should automatically prompt you for a user name and password (unless the Guest account is enabled on the server.)
    Friday, September 25, 2009 11:11 PM