Router Died - Recommendations? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Good Morning All,
    My Router has finally packed up after serving me well over the past few years.  With no spare knocking around I need to pick up a new one pretty quick.  I'm going to upgrade to ensure I have access to b/g/n but would also like to ensure there are no compatibility issues with WHS.  Do any of you have any recommendations as to which router would be a good choice?
    Many Thanks
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:53 PM not a technical question
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:42 AM

All replies

• This is probably a more generic issue than WHS-related. I've never seen a WHS-specific issue with any router.
    That being said, you don't want to cheap-out on a router if you are doing a lot of media sharing, file serving, etc.

Personally I got the Buffalo wireless-N high power - great reviews from
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews
    The DIR-655 also is very popular.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Here in Germany the Fritz!Box 7270 is one of the often used choices.
    But this all depends from your region, your ISP and so on.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:41 PM
  • Personally, I would get a good router, and a separate wireless access point. While it's more money, separating the two functions actually simplifies some network setup tasks.

As for "what's a good router" I have a SonicWall (business-class) router, but at around $500 US that's more than you probably want to spend. I'm not fond of Linksys in general, but have had good results with D-Link in the past.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:31 PM
  •  I'm not fond of Linksys in general, but have had good results with D-Link in the past.
    Heh, my experiences are exactly the opposite.  :)
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Spend the money for gigabit support. If you have a media center, or the WHS will serve media in some way, the large size of high definition files makes gigabit valuable.

Also, investigate whether the router will broadcast Wake-On-Lan packets from the internet. That allows you to put your server to sleep, but wake it remotely on the occasions you want to. Many consumer routers don't forward WOL packets to the broadcast address.

Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:33 PM
  • Personally, I would get a good router, and a separate wireless access point.
    Depending on price and availability, that might be two copies of the same device, configured differently for each purpose.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:34 PM
  • I agree, if you can get a fully integrated router with built in Gigabit network switch you can increase the LAN performance (which affects backup and file share access) without needing investing the hardware and the electrical power for an extra switch.
    Wireless should only be part of the mix, if you think you may need it at some point in the not too far future.
    The availibility of firmware upgrades also for older hardware is one of the points, which I use for selecting the maker of my hardware.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, November 27, 2009 7:51 AM
  • I just bought a Netgear WNDR3700 and I am very happy. It has gigabit ethernet and dual band N wireless. I have had good luck with Netgear, not so much with Linksys (constant need to reset).
    Friday, November 27, 2009 8:02 AM
  • Thanks for the responses all!! I've been looking over a few routers now. Been working away so haven't had a chance to pick one up yet but your comments have been most helpful. Will report back with an update upon purchasing. many thanks again.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 10:46 AM