Subfolder rights have changed on their own. RRS feed

• Question

•  

First off all, I have not done anything to the server before this problem started (honest).

The access rights for some of my subfolders have changed.

I have 6 folders under Videos. Only 2 of them have been affected Kids and Television Shows. Now, I can enter into both of those folders but then it wont let me enter into the next level of folder. It says "You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions."

My permissions have not changed inside the console, I have full access to everything, and of course you cannot change access restrictions on subfolders (if you can, I do not know how to).

While problem solving, I tried to use the WebFolderShare add in. I had to use my name and p/w to get to Television shows, but then when I wanted to go to the next directory, it would not allow me to enter under the same user name and p/w. It would only allow me to enter into it with the administrator name and p/w.

So, somehow only the administrators rights will allow me to enter into those sub-folders. If I RDP, I have access to everything, no problem.

Also, I tried logging in with my wifes name and p/w. Same thing, no access.

Why would this happen? How can I change the sub-folder permissions back with out having to do a re-install.

Upto this point, everything has been working perfect.

Thx

Dawg.

Monday, December 31, 2007 3:00 AM

Answers

• You may try:

reset the owner information and then permissions

Reset owner information on tombstone and shadows:

1.Log into your home server as administrator.

2.Right click on the d:\shares\someshare folder, select properties, and security tab.

3.Click on the advanced button.

4.Click on the Owner Tab.  Make sure administrator account is listed.

5.Select “replace owner on sub containers and objects” and apply.

6.Repeat this on D:\DE\shares\someshare and on C:\FS\[some number or digit]\de\shares\someshare

Now,

Reset security permissions on tombstone and shadows:

1.Right click on the d:\shares\someshare folder, select properties, and security tab.

2.Click on the advanced button.

3.Check the “replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects”

4.Click apply.

5.Reboot.

based on post from Mark Vayman in the thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2338667&SiteID=50

Monday, December 31, 2007 9:07 AM

All replies

• You may try:

reset the owner information and then permissions

Reset owner information on tombstone and shadows:

1.Log into your home server as administrator.

2.Right click on the d:\shares\someshare folder, select properties, and security tab.

3.Click on the advanced button.

4.Click on the Owner Tab.  Make sure administrator account is listed.

5.Select “replace owner on sub containers and objects” and apply.

6.Repeat this on D:\DE\shares\someshare and on C:\FS\[some number or digit]\de\shares\someshare

Now,

Reset security permissions on tombstone and shadows:

1.Right click on the d:\shares\someshare folder, select properties, and security tab.

2.Click on the advanced button.

3.Check the “replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects”

4.Click apply.

5.Reboot.

based on post from Mark Vayman in the thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2338667&SiteID=50

Monday, December 31, 2007 9:07 AM
  • This happened to me, once, when I accidentally cut off power to the machine without shutting it down.  I think it's safe to say you should NEVER just pull the power to the WHS without ensuring it is safely shut down.  Get an UPS to keep it running, and set autoshutdown at 50% of battery power.

Monday, December 31, 2007 2:37 PM
  • Thank you so much, it worked.

Dawg.

Monday, December 31, 2007 6:33 PM