Windows Home Server Console? no such thing? RRS feed

• Question

• I have just finished installing WHS and there is no windows home server console anywhere on it. What did i do wrong?

downloaded iso from MS and ran CRC check.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 5:15 AM

Answers

• 2 more downloads and 4 disks later and i got it working.

Answer: Re-download and burn at LOWEST speed available.
    • Marked as answer by Adam_M. _ Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:25 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:25 PM

All replies

• You get the console after installing the Windows Home Server connector software from
    http://yourserversname:55000
    on each client in the context menu of the tray icon
    (or by starting locally on the server desktop, which is unsupported).
    If the console is really not available locally as a shortcut in the start menu, setup may have been interrupted. (Did you get the intial welcome screen to configure the server name and console password?)
    In case the server is not visible for the clients, check, if a driver for the network card is installed in device manager on the server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 7:52 AM
  • Thanks, I am guessing that a faulty installation is the issue, "http://yourserversname:55000" doesnt load anything locally or from another machine (and yes i know to replace it with the server name). I did not get the initial welcome screen to configure the server and password so something must have gone wrong. i'll try reinstalling and reply with what happens.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 3:01 PM
  • I get the error code 080070003 continuing to configure storage failed. which i read as being a problem when the user removes the dvd but i did not. i re downloaded, checked, and burned another dvd (at the lowest speed) and got the same problem.

what now?

Edit: added system specs

All of the hardware is new.

250gb ide hdd, asus m4a785M motherboard, 1gb ram, dvd/cd drive.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Hi,
    such setup issues are difficult to diagnose remotely.
    You could try to burn the DVD on the same drive, from which you will run setup (although errors reading from the DVD usually look different). The DVD must stay in the drive until the setup process is finished after several reboots.

Also, if you have a Vista DVD, boot from it, open the command prompt  in the system repair options and enter following commands before trying another installation:
    diskpart
    list disk

select disk x (replace x with the number of the harddisk, which has been listed as output of the former command)
    clean (this will empty the disk totally)

Is the disk connected to the first IDE port and jumped as master?
    Is the DVD drive connected as master on a second IDE port or as slave on the same cable as the disk?
    Are there any USB disks attached? If so, remove them.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:24 PM
  • 2 more downloads and 4 disks later and i got it working.

Answer: Re-download and burn at LOWEST speed available.
    • Marked as answer by Adam_M. _ Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:25 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:25 PM