WHS backups fail after client HDD is upgraded RRS feed

• Question

• This is my first post here but I have used WHS for almost two years, mostly without problems that were resolved by looking for answers. My server is an OEM installation on a Dell 690 workstation Xeon 3.0 GHz processor. Clients are: one Win XP Pro desktop, one Vista Home desktop, and one Toshiba Tecra A-6 Win XP Pro.

This week I upgraded the Toshiba laptop HDD drive from 85 GB 5400 rpm to a new 320 GB 7200 rpm. Cloning the original drive to the new one appeared run well and the system started without too many problems. 

WHS Console connected with the server and all was working until I started a manual backup. As soon as the backup began a blue screen failure occurred and the backup reported failure because connection with the client was lost. After reading various discussions here I ran checkdisk on the new drive, and ran jv16 Registry Cleaner. Checkdisk was O.K. and a lot of registry errors were reported. The repair routine fixed 16 of those errors and over 100 were removed. Perfect Disk reported 8.3 % fragmentation and that was fixed. 

The laptop restarted O.K. but there were two additional backup failures caused by the same system failure. A reply from Microsoft Error Reporting said that my report was corrupted. Now I am trying to find a solution. According to what I have found on the Toshiba tech support site, the laptop BIOS should support the larger and faster drive, and there is no newer BIOS available for Win XP. My attempts to dig up more on the HDD upgrade issues may not go far until the holiday is over. 

I haven't found any discussions in this forum that directly related to my upgrade experience. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to all,

Charlie

Charlie
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 10:54 PM

Answers

• Mark and All,

The problem was solved by restoring to factory setup. The first clue was reinstalling the original HDD and finding that it worked O.K. Staying that way would defeat my intended HDD upgrade. Last week I spent time checking for driver problems and software issues. No cause was found.

Yesterday in a discussing with tech support at Drive Solutions and reviewing the cloning process, a software problem was thought to be likely cause. Just to make sure I deleted the WHS Connector software and reinstalled with no change. After running restore and getting back to re1connecting to WHS it all worked normally. Sorry to say that I never got back to the log to see if there any clues but will remember that for future use.

One thing I learned. It is not easy to get good technical information on a 3-year old laptop. Toshiba tech support only listed a slew of Vista drivers and one BIOS upgrade that applied to my Tecra A-6. But at least it is working fine -- right now.

Thanks to all for the help.
    Charlie
    • Marked as answer by spudisland19 Wednesday, January 6, 2010 11:14 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 11:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Charlie,

I expect your trouble is caused by remnants of the cloning software (such as Acronis or Ghost) causing windows shadow copy (vss) to malfunction. Please checkout this thread, then have a look in the clients eventlogs (Start, Run, type eventvwr.msc and Hit Enter) and look for errors around the time the backup fails.

Also If you have changed hdd you will probably need to reconfigure backup, reinstall connector from http://yourservername:55000 or run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server.

EDIT: A few more links:  acronis vss problem, another acronis thread, more about vss errors in eventlog.
    Friday, January 1, 2010 7:29 AM
  • brubber:

Just to clarify, Acronis Home products (Acronis TrueImage Home) do not use VSS; only the Acronis Enterprise and Server products. Therefore, these types of issues should not occur if the OP used TrueImage to clone or image his disk.
    Friday, January 1, 2010 2:15 PM
  • Mark and All,

The problem was solved by restoring to factory setup. The first clue was reinstalling the original HDD and finding that it worked O.K. Staying that way would defeat my intended HDD upgrade. Last week I spent time checking for driver problems and software issues. No cause was found.

Yesterday in a discussing with tech support at Drive Solutions and reviewing the cloning process, a software problem was thought to be likely cause. Just to make sure I deleted the WHS Connector software and reinstalled with no change. After running restore and getting back to re1connecting to WHS it all worked normally. Sorry to say that I never got back to the log to see if there any clues but will remember that for future use.

One thing I learned. It is not easy to get good technical information on a 3-year old laptop. Toshiba tech support only listed a slew of Vista drivers and one BIOS upgrade that applied to my Tecra A-6. But at least it is working fine -- right now.

Thanks to all for the help.
    Charlie
    • Marked as answer by spudisland19 Wednesday, January 6, 2010 11:14 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 11:14 PM