Need more than 3 PC on my home OneCare circle RRS feed

• Question

• I have more than 3 PCs at home, and I would like to manage the backup centrally for all of them. I have two paying subscriptions. Any solution?

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 5:54 PM

Answers

• If you mean that you want to configure the settings for all of the computers from a single hub, no, that can't be done. However, you can configure two machines to be hubs and have both computers point to the same Share for the centralized backup.

Your request is, however, a good one. I hope that we'll see the ability to have a larger Circle for a *single* subscription soon. Managing multiple subscriptions from a single hub is probably more complicated than allowing more PCs to be part of a Circle based on having the ability to have more than 3 PCs on a subscription.

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:39 PM

All replies

• If you mean that you want to configure the settings for all of the computers from a single hub, no, that can't be done. However, you can configure two machines to be hubs and have both computers point to the same Share for the centralized backup.

Your request is, however, a good one. I hope that we'll see the ability to have a larger Circle for a *single* subscription soon. Managing multiple subscriptions from a single hub is probably more complicated than allowing more PCs to be part of a Circle based on having the ability to have more than 3 PCs on a subscription.

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:39 PM
  • I too have more than 3 PCs at home (seven).  I really like the Windows Live OneCare's ability to link 3 computers.  I am in the process of setting up instant back up with an external hard drive for those 3 computers.  I would like to include at least 3 more computers.  You mentioned configuring two machines to be hubs and having them both point to the same Share for the centralized backup.  Can you explain that process in more detail?

Thursday, December 6, 2007 12:57 PM
  • Sure thing. Let's say you have a nice and big external drive attached to PC#1. If you have lots of data and many regular changes on all 6 of your PCs, I'd want that drive to be very large so I didn't need to deal with wiping out od backups and starting over too frequently (which is not an automated process in OneCare).

On PC#1, open Windows Explorer and navigate to the external drive. Create a folder and name it whatever you want - let's call it ShareBack.

Now right click on that folder and select Sharing to share the folder and grant rights for everyone - full rights - read/write/change/delete.

If PC#1 is also the hub for PC#2 and PC#3, open OneCare and configure the backup option. Follow the wizard to set up Centralized backup and select the Shared folder we created above as the destination.

Now, on your other hub PC, PC#4, open OneCare and configure Cnetralized backup on it for the other Circle and point it to the same shared folder that we used when setting up PC#1.

Done. :-)

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 6:31 PM
  • But what about sharing a printer with all your home PC's?  It seems that OneCare is fouling up printer sharing and now it is saying that computers need to be in my circle to share my printers.  I have one subscription and regardless of being in my circle, peoples print jobs get spooled, but never print. 

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:22 PM
  • If all of your PCs are on the same network and running OneCare, *and* you have File and Printer Sharing enabled, *and* OneCare sees your network as private (OneCare, change settings, firewall, configure network) you should be able to share printers outside of the OneCare feature to simplify Printer Sharing. Can the PCs share files?

-steve

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 7:12 PM
  • I have three computers originally on my OneCare Circle. I bought a new copy of OneCare today and put it on a new notebook computer. I logged in via my usual Live ID thinking I'd have to create a new circle and give the new Key for that copy, but I just got a message back saying it was added to the circle. And now when I look at the circle info I see it shows FOUR computers in the circle. What's happened?

Dave

Friday, May 16, 2008 11:51 PM
  • Using the same LiveID to activate is what happened. :-) Your LiveID designates your subscription and you can only have one subscription per LiveID. You should remove OneCare from the 4th PC and install again. Once it is reinstalled, use a *different* LiveID to activate. You will then be prompted for the key or payment information.

-steve

Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:16 AM