obfuscate the windows xp install product key RRS feed

• Question

• Another user suggested I try here.  A while ago I read about a procedure to obfuscate the windows xp install product key once xp pro is installed.  Any links on how to do this?

Thanks,

Al

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Stephen,

Sorry for the post here but I could not find a better place to post.  Any ideas?  As an admin overlooking volume keys, I once read there was some procedure to prevent the key from being obtained from an install and then possibly posted where you don't want it.  Anyway, I'll keep looking. 

Thanks again.

Al
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, March 10, 2009 9:22 PM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:58 PM

All replies

• Hey P47,

Curious why would you need to obfuscate the Product key?

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:04 PM
  • So they don't end up on the Intenet.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:13 PM
  • P47,

You product key should not end up on the Internet. Also I am not aware as how to do this proceedure. This forum is for supporting Windows Genuine Advantage issues.

Take care,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:27 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

Sorry for the post here but I could not find a better place to post.  Any ideas?  As an admin overlooking volume keys, I once read there was some procedure to prevent the key from being obtained from an install and then possibly posted where you don't want it.  Anyway, I'll keep looking. 

Thanks again.

Al
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, March 10, 2009 9:22 PM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:58 PM
  • P 47,

Have you tried to contact MSDN, your Technical Account Manager or your Vendor Account Manager for support? Also you may have to contact Pro Support. Unfortunately I don't have any other guidance to offer. As I mentioned this forum is for supporting WGA problems.

Take care :-)

Stephen
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 11:56 PM
  • P47,

The later versions of Sysprep (SP1 and later) have a feature that allows you to encrypt the VL deployment Product Key in the sysprep.inf file.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/328356

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:49 AM