Installing WHS - are there still AHCI driver issues? RRS feed

• Question

• I am nearing completion of a server build for my Home Server installation.  Pertinate components are:
    ASUS P5N-VM WS motherboard
    NVIDIA QuadroFX470 SATA controller chip set
    4 dual mode IDE / AHCI SATA connectors and 2 AHCI / RAID only connectors
    1 WD Black 500GB for boot drive to be connected to SATA-1 in IDE mode
    4 WD Green 1.5 TBEADS drives with two or three connected to AHCI-only SATA connectors depending on whether or not I hook up the eSATA port in the front panel.

At least one of the four storage drives will have to be connecxted to an AHCI only SATA connector.  I understand there are problems getting AHCI drivers to work.

Have any of the issues been resolved since the forum Q&A's from 2007-8?

Is there a "Cookbook" for dealing with the issues?

If the AHCI driver still must be loaded twice during the WHS install does it have to be loaded at the F6 prompt EVERY time the OS is re-started?  Would I still get the "bluescreen" thing if the boot drive is IDE but another drive is AHCI?

Can I update the driver for the AHCI drives after I do the install?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, March 13, 2010 1:14 PM installation question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 8:08 AM

Answers

• I would be careful using AHCI I have seen some people able to use it and others not. I have a gigabyte board with 6 sata 4 normal and 2 I would have to use AHCI. When I enable it I kept loosing a HDD, I would have to restart the server then it would show up again and then a couple hours later would go missing, thats why I use addin PCI SATA cards aswell.
    HMG
    • Marked as answer by senileoldguy Sunday, March 14, 2010 6:09 PM
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 10:59 AM
  • Nothing has changed. For best compatibility and fewest problems you should configure your SATA ports to use legacy IDE mode. If you choose to set them to a SATA mode for improved performance, you should practice server recovery before you commit data to your build, so that you will understand the potential problems you will face if you should have a failure of the OS drive, or OS corruption requiring recoveyr to correct it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Thank you very much, Bulldawg.  I just ordered the Koutech IO-PESA230 PCI Express card.  It was one of the several I was considering.  I'll post my results "when" I get this puppy barking.

Senileoldguy...
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 6:08 PM

All replies

• I would be careful using AHCI I have seen some people able to use it and others not. I have a gigabyte board with 6 sata 4 normal and 2 I would have to use AHCI. When I enable it I kept loosing a HDD, I would have to restart the server then it would show up again and then a couple hours later would go missing, thats why I use addin PCI SATA cards aswell.
    HMG
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 10:59 AM
  • Nothing has changed. For best compatibility and fewest problems you should configure your SATA ports to use legacy IDE mode. If you choose to set them to a SATA mode for improved performance, you should practice server recovery before you commit data to your build, so that you will understand the potential problems you will face if you should have a failure of the OS drive, or OS corruption requiring recoveyr to correct it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Thanks very much for the reply.

I'd like not to hassle with AHCI as the performance gains don't appear to justify the potential problems.  But I really need more than the four IDE compatable ports I have on the moterboard.

To get the additional non-AHCI/RAID SATA internal connectors I need I would prefer to find a good <$100 PCIe SATA II card with two or four internal ports that has an IDE option for at least two of the ports.  If you are using one what do you have?  Any other recommendations?

Thanks!!!!!
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 6:52 PM
  • 
    I'm using a Rosewill RC-216 with a JMB 363 chip. It appears in Device Manager as a SCSI and RAID controller.  I manually installed the driver from the floppy (also listed on the CD), not the ones on the install CD as the CD install also added RAID software which is not wanted.  The driver version I'm using is 1.17.47.11 and the controller has firmware ver 1.7.  The card works well for me.  It's a PCI-Express card.

Details are at

and

Just be sure NOT to configure RAID and it should work well.

My son is using a different card, one with a Silicon Image chip, and he is quite happy with it.

However, if I were looking for a SATA card today, I would take a hard look at this one.

--

"senileoldguy" <=?utf-8?B?c2VuaWxlb2xkZ3V5?=> wrote in message news:13f2b3e3-5a09-4052-8132-12f6227bc981...
    Thanks very much for the reply.

I'd like not to hassle with AHCI as the performance gains don't appear to justify the potential problems.  But I really need more than the four IDE compatable ports I have on the moterboard.

To get the additional non-AHCI/RAID SATA internal connectors I need I would prefer to find a good <$100 PCIe SATA II card with two or four internal ports that has an IDE option for at least two of the ports.  If you are using one what do you have?  Any other recommendations?

Thanks!!!!!

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by senileoldguy Sunday, March 14, 2010 6:10 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by senileoldguy Sunday, March 14, 2010 6:11 PM
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 12:45 AM
  • Thank you very much, Bulldawg.  I just ordered the Koutech IO-PESA230 PCI Express card.  It was one of the several I was considering.  I'll post my results "when" I get this puppy barking.

Senileoldguy...
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 6:08 PM