CRM 4.0 User Permission Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am getting an error message pop up for a User, when they are creating an Opportunity. They are trying to assign the Opportunity to another user under the "Responsibilty Of" area. The user who they are assigning it to is apart of a Business Unit that is a "Child" their own.

They both have the same Security Role type. The error message says: "You do not have enough privileges to access the Microfost Dynamics CRM object or perform the requested operation. For more information, contact your Microsoft Dynamics CRM administrator."

Hope someone can help. Thanks

Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Alicia,

CRM works something like this. When you create a role and link it to a BU, all the child BUs inherit that role. For example, suppose you've created a role at the Root BU and have other child BUs under that. If you have to change the privileges of the role, you'll have to change it at the Root Business Unit level, i.e. login with a user whos at the top Business Level and is privileged to customize CRM.

I hope you've got the idea.

Best Regards,
    Gagandeep Singh
    http://mscrmnovice.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by Adam Vero Monday, June 28, 2010 10:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Sunday, July 4, 2010 3:02 PM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 11:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

in the particular security role, have they got privileges set under the "Assign" area to be organisation/business unit/Own? if so, is it set for that particular entity...like Account or Contact or in your case, Opportunity?

Cheers and regards Rossco
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:28 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, the security role has the "Assign" area of the Opportunity entity marked for Business Unit level. I thought that if it was marked at the BU level, it would also apply to any "Child" BU's as well.

Does it have to be on the "Parent/Child" setting for someone to make an Opportunity the responsibilty of someone in a lower BU?

Thanks

Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Hi,

I think yes. If you are assigning a record to a user who is in a business unit one level down, then you must have the assign privileges set to Parent/Child Business Unit.

With this the user on the top level Business Unit will have access to all the records in the child Business Unit as will also be able to assign the records to any user in his own BU or the Child BU.

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,
    Gagandeep Singh
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:56 PM
  • Thanks for that. When I make the change in the security role, it says that I cannot save the role as "Inherited roles cannot be updated or modified."

Do I need to copy the role and change everyone to the new role, or can I change the existing somehow?

Regards,

Alicia

Friday, June 25, 2010 3:39 AM
  • HI,

It's becaue you'll have to go to the Top level Business Role and change it there. All roles created on a higher BU level will be inherited and you'll have to modify those roles from the Parent.

Steen Schlüter Persson (DK)
    Friday, June 25, 2010 7:01 AM
  • Hi Alicia,

CRM works something like this. When you create a role and link it to a BU, all the child BUs inherit that role. For example, suppose you've created a role at the Root BU and have other child BUs under that. If you have to change the privileges of the role, you'll have to change it at the Root Business Unit level, i.e. login with a user whos at the top Business Level and is privileged to customize CRM.

I hope you've got the idea.

Best Regards,
    Gagandeep Singh
    • Proposed as answer by Adam Vero Monday, June 28, 2010 10:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Sunday, July 4, 2010 3:02 PM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 11:37 PM
  • Great, thanks very much for your help. Got it now.
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 2:32 AM