locked
Reimporting CRM Organization RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi Guys,

    I have a 1.5GB CRM database which I'm importing into CRM 4.0 Roll Up5. Prior to the import the CRM system that had the database was upgraded to the latest roll up (RU 5) so CRM versions are the same and so are SQL (2005). The server is a windows server 2003, 4 processors with 4 GB of RAM with plenty of hard disk space on the C drive (25 GB).

    At the moment the import has been stuck on "Update Users" for the last 3 hours and the server's CPU is fluctuating between 55-100% CPU usage. During the import I selected / mapped all users from the database into the new domain.

    Is there anyway of knowing how long this process will take, or if it's failed or how indeed we could speed it up?

    Thanks

    Monday, August 17, 2009 11:00 AM

Answers

  • Hi Guys,

    Thank you for the pointers.

    It turned out that the issue was down to general "bad" performance on the NEW CRM/SQL server. Reinstalling CRM / SRS and the SRS Data connector for some reason resolved the import slowness issue. Now the Org imports in about 25 minutes :)

    On top of that after the import went through successfully we did have issues within the CRM org whereby users could update certain record - for example, they could update user records, couldn't publish changes etc. But they could edit and update Orgs, contacts, sales quotation, marketing lists etc. The cause of this was permissions on the Network Server user accessing the DBOWNER Stored procedure for both CRM database – so some strange stuff going on here!


    Thanks again guys :)

     

    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:17 PM

All replies

  • unfortunatly not:

    just look at your W3W process and see if the memory allocation changes.
    should this happen then the import is still active
    Tiaan van Niekerk http://crmdelacreme.blogspot.com Skype:tiaan.van.niekerk1
    Monday, August 17, 2009 12:58 PM
  • The deployment manager log is a good place to look also.


    SJ
    Monday, August 17, 2009 1:48 PM
  • you can also look at your SQL peformance monitor
    Tiaan van Niekerk http://crmdelacreme.blogspot.com Skype:tiaan.van.niekerk1
    Monday, August 17, 2009 4:24 PM
  • You can also check the SQL server event viewer to see if it is logging any errors.  Sometimes, the import appears to hang on the Update User step.  If you find that the import is not completing, you may find some relief by following the steps in this KB


    Best Regards, Donna
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Hi Guys,

    Thank you for the pointers.

    It turned out that the issue was down to general "bad" performance on the NEW CRM/SQL server. Reinstalling CRM / SRS and the SRS Data connector for some reason resolved the import slowness issue. Now the Org imports in about 25 minutes :)

    On top of that after the import went through successfully we did have issues within the CRM org whereby users could update certain record - for example, they could update user records, couldn't publish changes etc. But they could edit and update Orgs, contacts, sales quotation, marketing lists etc. The cause of this was permissions on the Network Server user accessing the DBOWNER Stored procedure for both CRM database – so some strange stuff going on here!


    Thanks again guys :)

     

    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:17 PM