none
synchronize to sql server 2008 databases using wcf RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I made a sample that is able to synchronize between sql server 2008 and SDF local database but I just wanted to change the client side

part of this sample to be able to use sql server 2008 in local side ?

what is the main step for that .

here is some code that trigger the synchronization

ServerSyncServiceProvider serverProvider = new
     ServerSyncServiceProvider(Properties.Settings.Default.Server_WarehouseDBConnectionString);
       SqlSyncProvider localprovider = new
     SqlSyncProvider(""
    , new
     SqlConnection(Properties.Settings.Default.Client_WarehouseDBConnectionString));

SyncOrchestrator sync = new
     SyncOrchestrator();
       sync.RemoteProvider = serverProvider;
       sync.LocalProvider = localprovider;
       sync.Direction = SyncDirectionOrder.Download;
       SyncOperationStatistics stats = sync.Synchronize();

of course I'm using wcf service to call the remote database server

and locally i'm just using an SqlSyncProvider that connect to sql server 2008

but I got this exception :

InvalidCastException Was not unhandled: Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncProvider

!!!

• Edited by Feras mazenTaleb Wednesday, December 8, 2010 2:09 PM clear my idea more
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:03 PM

Answers

• the tracking table contains the tombstones as well. the trackings contains the change tracking information so it will have a row for each row in the base table so Sync Fx can determine if a row has been inserted/updated/deleted. the tracking table is populated by triggers on the base table.
    Monday, December 13, 2010 3:18 PM
  • check How to: Clean Up Metadata for Collaborative Synchronization (SQL Server) in the docs as well as the Tuning and Monitoring Performance topic.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:18 PM

All replies

• is ServerSyncServiceProvider  a custom provider? if you're synching both SQL Server 2008 on server and client, why dont you just use SqlSyncProvider on both sides?
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:15 PM
  • ServerSyncServiceProvider

public partial class ServerSyncServiceProvider : Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.Server.DbServerSyncProvider

I created LocalDataCache File and this class generated but then I wanted to use it to synchronize with sql server database not SDF file

so I tried to modify the code as the question above ,,,, anyway ,, could you give some sample in how to use SqlSyncPRovider in both sides

and I would like to remind you that I call the  Server side by using WCF

thanks a lot ,

Thursday, December 9, 2010 7:38 AM
  • ok finally I got some samples and I've started understanding the case in general thanks
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:57 AM
  • good to hear you've made some progress.

the Local Database Cache uses a different provider and you cant mix and match the offline provider (SqlCeClientSyncProvider/DBServerSyncProvider) and the collaboration provider  (SqlCeSyncProvider/SqlSyncProvider)

the documenation actually has step-by-step tutorials on both type of providers.

• Proposed as answer by Ganeshan Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:44 PM
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 1:17 PM
  • finally I have a big achievement I modified this sample to fit my needs

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/sync/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=3762

but I noticed something strange for me ! : tracking table contains the same number of rows for the relative data table .

I'm still beginner so I don't know why and when I configured the local database and server database for the first time , no Thumbstone tables created ?

Monday, December 13, 2010 12:10 PM
  • the tracking table contains the tombstones as well. the trackings contains the change tracking information so it will have a row for each row in the base table so Sync Fx can determine if a row has been inserted/updated/deleted. the tracking table is populated by triggers on the base table.
    Monday, December 13, 2010 3:18 PM
  • - well thanks for this information but don't you think that this will cause to enlarge the size of the database in all sides (server , clients ) and is there any optimization tips when using it with Sql server 2008 of course I don't want to use other sync frame work techniques I mean I have to use the change tracking tables and the provisioning sync classes in general

exactly like this famous sample : http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/sync/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=3762

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:19 PM
  • check How to: Clean Up Metadata for Collaborative Synchronization (SQL Server) in the docs as well as the Tuning and Monitoring Performance topic.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:18 PM
  • I am facing the same issue, can you elaborate what really helped you solving the InvalidCastException because that sample link is no longer accessible. Note that I am also using WCF proxy in n-tier configuration.
    Saturday, April 28, 2018 7:25 PM