1 Drive Failed, Lost All Data RRS feed

• Question

• One of my four 1 TB drives and I removed it as per the instructions (took 52 hours for that process to complete) but afterwards, I had not a single bit of data on the remaining three drives.  I was around 27% capacity (including backups) when the drive failed.  What's the point of WHS if a single drive failure results in total data loss?
    Friday, May 27, 2011 6:22 PM

All replies

• Hmm. Indeed, there would be no point. Did you have duplication switched on? If so data would be on more than one drive. You may have to shut down WHS and look at each drive in turn on a different computer to extract it. Look at the drive usage on the drives to see if indeed there is actually any data there or is it that WHS is just not seeing it.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 7:15 PM
  • Yep, duplication was on.  WHS can't see data on any of the drives; all shares are gone.  I'll extract the drives tonight but it is my understanding that the data on a single drive would be useless.  The system drive is fine but WHS console fails.  I can only get in via RDP.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 9:17 PM
  • None of the drives could be read.  It's like WHS employs RAID 0.  Lesson learned.
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Those drives should be just be NTFS formatted, you should be able to put them into a USB or ESATA enclosure, connect that to another PC, and take a look inside the DE folder (the DE folder is hidden, so make sure you have Show Hidden Files and Folders selected in Explorer.)

Inside the DE folder you should see a list of the shared folders that were on that particular drive.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:14 PM
  • Seems your D: volume eventually messed up, otherwise you would see at least the shares.

Check the FAQ http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f to see how to access your hopefully still accessible data.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, June 3, 2011 12:13 PM