Creating a dev environment from a disk image -- IIS and SID -- 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• We pulled a drive out of the RAID array and stuck it in a new box/blade to clone the CRM server.  I'm told by an advisor here that before that comes onto the network, we have to uninstall and reinstall IIS because of issues with the SID.

1) do we concur that this step needs to be taken?

2) if I save out the configuration for each of the app pools and web sites will restoring those cover the requirement?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:04 PM

Answers

• Whether or not you use NetBIOS, you may have issues regarding any of the computer name, the computer account, and/or the IP address being changed. Overall, it will be a lot quicker to do a fresh CRM install and to restore and import the organisation database(s) as proposed above, rather than trying to identify which IIS / CRM configurations should be changed or restored.

Note that several CRM registry values are no longer used, and have been superseded by information in the MSCRM_Config database

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com  http://www.excitation.co.uk

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:16 PM

All replies

• You cannot simply clone the whole CRM server.  Reason being, to use the machine on the network, you would need to change the netbios name of the cloned CRM server.  Changing the netbios name will break CRM.  You would then need to uninstall and reinstall CRM.

You would want to simply do a fresh install of CRM in the new environment, then back up and restore the org database (using the naming convention <org>_mscrm) to the new SQL server supporting the new CRM server.  Do not restore the mscrm_config database.  Then import it using the deployment manager.

Best regards,

Jason Peterson
    Partner Online Technical Community
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We hope you get value from our new forums platform! Tell us what you think:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/partnerfdbk/threads
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, September 30, 2011 3:12 PM
  • I'm not sure how to receive that answer since we don't have netbios anywhere that we know of.  Specifically not on the original nor cloned server.  Can you make any more detailed description of "breaking CRM?"

I will volunteer this that I changed everything in the MSCRM registry, but when I started up deployment manager it still identifies the server as the original.

Friday, September 30, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Whether or not you use NetBIOS, you may have issues regarding any of the computer name, the computer account, and/or the IP address being changed. Overall, it will be a lot quicker to do a fresh CRM install and to restore and import the organisation database(s) as proposed above, rather than trying to identify which IIS / CRM configurations should be changed or restored.

Note that several CRM registry values are no longer used, and have been superseded by information in the MSCRM_Config database

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com  http://www.excitation.co.uk

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:16 PM
  • If you take some time to examine the tables in the ORG database you will quickly find a great many GUIDs that Identify specific objects in the LDAP database.   This is used for authentication.

For instance, take a look a the SystemUserbase table as an example and notice the GUIDs associated with accounts.

Thus the reason that a CRM admin does not delete AD accounts and disabling of an account is done in CRM rather than a deletion.

As for No Netbios in the network, look at your security logs and see if there are both NTLM V2 and Kerberos authentications that are successful. Also run NBTSTAT -n to view your netbios cache.  If you have entries there then I suspect the answer is there is successful netbios authentication.

Remember that machine accounts have many attributes that identify themselves to the AD forest.  Given that and the intertwining of the CRM databases and regisitry keys with the AD, I think David is giving you some good advise there.

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:07 PM
  • Well, I took your advice and have a problem.  I just ran an installation of crm 4.0.  I did get the warning below but no errors.  There is no CRMAppPool in the IIS.  (2003 server)

I created the SPN on the service account myself and designated that service account in the installation wizard.

Warning| Check ServiceAccountsValidator : Warning: Verify Domain User account SPN for the Microsoft Dynamics CRM ASP.NET Application Pool account.

IIS 6 -- I also see that there is no Microsoft CRM in the web Service Extensions

What is happening?
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:03 PM
  • ---------------------------
    Microsoft Dynamics CRM Setup
    ---------------------------
    Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ImportDefaultDataAction failed.

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG))

Retry   Cancel  

fyi- extension is not needed after v3.0

Friday, October 7, 2011 4:36 PM