Help Me Run FreeWX on my WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been told that FreeWX runs fine on Server 2003. I guess that I can load it onto my server as any other software by logging onto the server desktop and doing a normal install. The software has an optiion to run on network so I assume I would run it that way on the server. Then I also install the software on my clients and it should work. Does that sound correct? I've been told that I would have to run the software as a "service" I found instructions how to run a program as a service but to be honest I don'r really know what "Run as A Service" means. So I'm reluctant to jump in. Any advice? If this is inappropriate question for this forum I apologize. Please tell me where to go. 
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 3:24 PM

Answers

• Copying it to your startup folder will only run the program when the user logs in, not when windows starts up.  By default, Windows Home server requires a person to physically log in to the server rather then automatically doing it, for security reasons.  In order to get your program to run before the user logs in (i.e, it runs while you are at the login screen) you need to run it as a service.  this website has a very nice tutorial for how to create a user-defined service:
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=197
    Monday, May 7, 2007 7:07 PM

All replies

• Referring strictly to your question about "run as a service", this means that the program (if set correctly) will start up when Windows boots and its state can be controlled via the Windows services.msc tool (you can get to it thru Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services). This is in comparison to programs that you would normally have to start up by executing a command, whether you double-click on an icon or type it onto a commandline. There are some other connotations as well, so don't worry if you get other terms if you Google this.

About the FreeWX, I do not know the software, but if it is a client-server type, then yeh - you need to run an install on the client PCs and the server install on the server machine. Usually the server part is first, so that when you run the client install, the server is ready for any requests during the setup phase of the client PC etc...

HTH..

Sunday, May 6, 2007 11:27 AM
  • Thanks, I went ahead and loaded FreeWX on my server. Copied the .exe into the Startup folder. Set the FreeWX to "Broadcast data on Network" then installed FreeWX on clients and configered it to find data on network. And it works on the LAN. Now I need to figure out how to get the data through the internet. Thanks, Ron
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 2:49 PM
  • Copying it to your startup folder will only run the program when the user logs in, not when windows starts up.  By default, Windows Home server requires a person to physically log in to the server rather then automatically doing it, for security reasons.  In order to get your program to run before the user logs in (i.e, it runs while you are at the login screen) you need to run it as a service.  this website has a very nice tutorial for how to create a user-defined service:
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=197
    Monday, May 7, 2007 7:07 PM
  • Thank You, Of course you are right. I found out after a power outage and a reboot. WeatherFX stopped sending data. Now I'll follow the link you offer and learn how to "Run as a Service" Thanks, Ron
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 12:07 PM
  • Windows standard "Scheduled Tasks" tool will also let you designate that an item is to run "on system startup" if that helps.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 8:54 PM
  • This thread http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1301450&SiteID=50 is a 4 page discussion around running apps as a service.

Gordon

Friday, May 25, 2007 11:10 AM
  • Ron

If you go to the Freewx site (www.freewx.net) and drill down to the FAQs you will find a comment on running as a service. It includes a link to a free application that will allow any other app to run as a service.

Also, you can access the data across the internet with the client by setting the correct URL and dumping the data from FreeWX into an ftp location.

If you have problems email me at howard@small.com.au

Howard

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 3:22 AM