none
How can I initiate a new complete backup on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• How does one force WHS to make a new, complete backup of a computer?  I deleted all the existing backups for one of my PC's thinking this would do it, but all I get is another incremental backup. I'm operating on Win XP Pro SP3, and trying to get ready to upgrade to Win 7.  The server is operating on WHS with Power Pack 3.

Mike Killien
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:44 AM

Answers

• Windows Home Server uses a technology similar to Single Instance Storage to back up your home computers. In effect, each unique cluster of data backed up is shared among all the backups that use that cluster of data, whatever computer or backup might use that data. This results in significant storage savings over other backup technologies because, for example, Microsoft Office 2007 is effectively backed up once, for all computers and backups which include it.

However, as far as you, the end user, are concerned, every backup to your home server is a full backup. When you browse a backup using the single file restore functionality, you see all the files, even those which haven't changed in months, and when you restore a drive, everything except folders explicitly excluded is restored.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Mike Killien Sunday, December 13, 2009 10:32 PM
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 1:56 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server uses a technology similar to Single Instance Storage to back up your home computers. In effect, each unique cluster of data backed up is shared among all the backups that use that cluster of data, whatever computer or backup might use that data. This results in significant storage savings over other backup technologies because, for example, Microsoft Office 2007 is effectively backed up once, for all computers and backups which include it.

However, as far as you, the end user, are concerned, every backup to your home server is a full backup. When you browse a backup using the single file restore functionality, you see all the files, even those which haven't changed in months, and when you restore a drive, everything except folders explicitly excluded is restored.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Mike Killien Sunday, December 13, 2009 10:32 PM
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 1:56 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification. 

Mike Killien
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 10:34 PM