Restore Specific File Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have been backing up all of my families PC's on my WHS but have never needed to restore till now.  My Son picked up a virus that prevented his IBM notebook from booting up.  I used the restore CD to boot the notebook, chose the proper computer and the most recent backup file which was a couple of days old.  It went through the process and completed without errors.  We then rebooted the notebook and got the identical error.  I then repeated the process using an older backup file.  After the restore completed succesfully the notebook booted which was awesome.  However since the good backup was a few weeks old there were some important files missing.  I then opened the most current backup file with WHS Console and eventually a Explorer windows appeared displaying the contents of the backup file as drive Z.  He had his files stored on his Desktop so I clicked on Documents and Settings and got the following error.

Z:\Documents and Settings not accessible
    The File or Directory is corrupted and unreadable.

I tried this with the backup file that successfully restored the notebook and got the same results.

Any help would be appreciated
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:21 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    did you try this from another PC also with the same results?
    If you have an external harddisk with at least the size of the partition you restored, please remove all important files from that disk (since it will be overwritten) and then use the ClientRestoreWizard.exe form a clients Program Files\Windows Home Server folder to restore the entire partition on a more current date to that external drive.
    Can you access this restored partition any better to copy the needed files?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:25 PM
  • I think you should have been able to restore from loose files, too. Please file a bug on Connect, and include server and client logs collected using the WHS Toolkit. (Read the toolkit manual; installation is a bit complex.)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:20 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    did you try this from another PC also with the same results?
    If you have an external harddisk with at least the size of the partition you restored, please remove all important files from that disk (since it will be overwritten) and then use the ClientRestoreWizard.exe form a clients Program Files\Windows Home Server folder to restore the entire partition on a more current date to that external drive.
    Can you access this restored partition any better to copy the needed files?
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:25 PM
  • Hi Olaf

Thanks for the reply.  Yes I tried to read the file from two other P.C.'s with the same results.
    I will try your suggestion tonight.  I will let you know how it went.

Regards from Canada
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:52 PM
  • Hi Again Olaf,

Thanks for the great suggestion.  I restored the backup to a USB drive, and after updating the security I was able to read the files from the USB drive.  My son is a happy guy since he got 1 month of school notes back.
    I think I should have been able to do this from WHS Console though.  It is probably a bug.

Thanks again

Bigd
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:03 PM
  • I think you should have been able to restore from loose files, too. Please file a bug on Connect, and include server and client logs collected using the WHS Toolkit. (Read the toolkit manual; installation is a bit complex.)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:20 PM
  • Thanks for reporting back about the outcome.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:09 PM